Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310619 times)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2014, 07:36 PM »
I don't see how frying one clove of garlic and adding it to a single portion of a different base will tell you anything about jb's base recipe. Why not make it as posted then draw conclusions? I'm sure many folks will be doing the same over the coming weeks and I'll have a go too. Then conclusions could be posted, by folks who've cooked it.

Ps 68 guests viewing this topic right now. Is that unusual?

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Just warming a portion of this base , it smells amazing, smells like the restaurant base and I can tell the garlic tarka is in there. About to make a vindaloo, rice done , nan dough ready , beer flowing, music booming , happy happy days!!

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Just warming a portion of this base , it smells amazing, smells like the restaurant base and I can tell the garlic tarka is in there. About to make a vindaloo, rice done , nan dough ready , beer flowing, music booming , happy happy days!!

looking forward to hearing how you got on with this base

Offline ckchao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Phil around the world 80 days; my dream. but I am nervus The Ebola.

Andy, What a life! Ur beer and curry makes me happy. cheers bloke.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2014, 09:13 PM »
looking forward to hearing how you got on with this base

Evening Stephen,

The base worked beautifully, made one of my most enjoyable, moreish, BIR tasting/smelling vindaloos. And that was after making a batch of nan bread dough, a large pot of pilau, batch of garlic paste, batch of blended green chilli, batch of blended plum tomato all  of which have stocked up my freezer.
Really enjoyed the Vindaloo, pilau rice and nan bread.
 Ill post a couple of pictures in the correct section shortly
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:44 PM by madrasandy »

littlechilie

« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Guys the base is a great base it just tastes real when it's cooked correctly, SS as for the garlic Tarka from me it doesn't make a huge difference but the base stands up without it !
It's a real BIR base, tonight I made a trial madras and with the right cooking techniques its as good as my TA!! That's all I want to achieve in a curry when I cook :)

MA I have a photo of a madras using the base is there a correct place to post it? As I'm still not familiar here, was I bad putting up photo on jb's thread? Cheers mate.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Lc just go to the Pictures of your curry section, I have just posted all mine there now, Base, curry,rice, and nan from tonight.

This base is wonderful, my new standard base without doubt, it is easily the closest I have come to the taste and aroma of the restaurant bases I have tasted, cheers jb

littlechilie

« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Thanks mate just posted it up, yep I also will now use this base as standard. Very impressive.

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2014, 10:18 PM »

The chef then explained that in the takeaway they leave the gravy like this(it's quite thick) and then add water to thin when they need it.It should be very thin,like watery soup.However when it hits the hot pan it will thicken.Finally take another pan,add a chef's spoon of oil and add a very finely chopped garlic clove and brown it.Tip this into the gravy(rinse the garlic pan out with a spoon of gravy).This seemed to give the gravy a fantastic smokey like flavour.Simmer the sauce for about half an hour and the oil should begin to rise.

Is the watering down of the base to "very thin like watery soup" done before the garlic is added and cooked for half an hour, or is the garlic added and cooked for 30 mins then later when the base is to be cooked with it's diluted till very thin? Seems like what's written above could mean either?

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Good job, very interesting the differences in how gravies are done down south compared to up here

©2024 Curry Recipes