Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310668 times)

littlechilie

Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Thanks for detailed clarification of process Jb.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Really good fun JB, did you hang around and get offered any Iftar goodies.

Was this better for you than the Zaal visit, i.e. a one to one tutorial with these cooks.

Just to back up your report about adding a Garlic tarka, which is old school BTW and not a lot of my locals do anymore.
I took a phone pic of a 30lt restaurant base last night, you can see the sliced garlic floating on top of the oil, before the base was blended.

Although you say only one clove of Garlic, sliced and fried (Tarka) to finish,
even in a 3kilo base I would use at least 5 cloves of Garlic to get the flavour into it.

Anyhoo, what level would you rate this TA's curries and have you tried any of their speciality dishes.

Good Post ;)
cheers Chewy

Just re-reading this post and I've noticed something that Chewy and Secret Santa said.I only diluted about a third of my gravy(the rest is in the freezer) and added one clove of garlic.I'll have to ask next time but maybe if you dilute the whole 3 kilo's worth of base then you do have to add more garlic,say three or four,I honestly don't know.If you do have to add more than maybe the BIR smell could even be more intense.However looking at Chewy's picture certainly confirms that some BIR chefs still do this technique.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Just re-reading this post and I've noticed something that Chewy and Secret Santa said.I only diluted about a third of my gravy(the rest is in the freezer) and added one clove of garlic

That would make more sense. The old portion(350-400ml) of base I first tried the tarka on I used a small clove of garlic and the aroma was wonderfully BIR, On the 1.5kg jb base I used 1 medium clove and the base was still excellent but the aroma was not quite so strong.

Hence the reason I only made a smaller batch rather than the full 3kg, as things always come to light after I ever make anything new !!!

after everyone has made it , all measures and processes sorted all questions asked maybe you should look at posting the recipe again , just to avoid any confusion, just a thought

Cheers for keeping us informed Jb
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:47 PM by madrasandy »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Good call, Andy. I'd like to try it but it's a bit confusing at the moment.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2014, 11:45 PM »
Made this to spec, sorry but nothing special, I believe bb1 mentioned the melting of the onions which I do with the Glasgow base, obviously a regional thing

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2014, 04:51 AM »
The big appeal for me with this base is the tiny, tiny amount of oil in comparison to other bases. Obviously, if people have tried it and say it's good, then this is promising and a very healthy (or less unhealthy) base is great news as far as I'm concerned.

Still can't find any coconut block down here and I've searched high and low. I think I'll try a chef spoon of coconut milk powder an see how that goes.

Thanks again JB

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2014, 05:39 AM »
A small point of detail which JB might want to check next time he's back - coconut block typically has a big fat layer of solid coconut oil on top. Is it just the coconut block itself which is added to the base, or some of the coconut oil? Or maybe it was actually the oily part of the coconut block which was added?  This would help bring the oil level in this base up, but perhaps as Mick says it's just a feature of this recipe that there's not much oil?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2014, 08:00 AM »
A small point of detail which JB might want to check next time he's back - coconut block typically has a big fat layer of solid coconut oil on top. Is it just the coconut block itself which is added to the base, or some of the coconut oil? Or maybe it was actually the oily part of the coconut block which was added?  This would help bring the oil level in this base up, but perhaps as Mick says it's just a feature of this recipe that there's not much oil?

http://www.ktc-edibles.com/shop.php?sec=prod&prod=90

This is the stuff he used,regular coconut block,just cut a bit off really.Not sure what you mean about coconut oil,it's just a solid,hard block,there's no oil,at least there's not in this brand which is the one I usually use myself.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Yep my coconut was just a solid hard block, KTC brand

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Still can't find any coconut block down here and I've searched high and low. I think I'll try a chef spoon of coconut milk powder an see how that goes.

Hi Mick what about getting it online for another time
It keeps indefinitely in the fridge, if you ignore the best before date (which I do)
Actually the best before date on my recent block is October 2016!!
I don't reckon I'll have it that long

©2024 Curry Recipes