Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 313130 times)

littlechilie

Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2014, 09:38 AM »
My thoughts are the coconut added is quite an importers factor for the flavour produced in Jb's base, in the completed base you get little zaps of a sweet moorish zing hitting your taste buds. 
Also uses ktc brand solid block.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Not sure what you mean about coconut oil,it's just a solid,hard block,there's no oil,at least there's not in this brand which is the one I usually use myself.

Perhaps you just haven't noticed? The end of the block is usually less white and more translucent than the rest of the block...that's the oil. I have Heera brand at the moment which has it but I'm pretty sure the KTC has it too when I've used it in the past.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2014, 12:49 PM »
I just get the Blue Dragon one - no sign of any separation  :)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Havent noticed it in my KTC one, it has always been in the fridge

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2014, 03:03 PM »
A small point of detail which JB might want to check next time he's back - coconut block typically has a big fat layer of solid coconut oil on top. Is it just the coconut block itself which is added to the base, or some of the coconut oil? Or maybe it was actually the oily part of the coconut block which was added?  This would help bring the oil level in this base up, but perhaps as Mick says it's just a feature of this recipe that there's not much oil?

http://www.ktc-edibles.com/shop.php?sec=prod&prod=90

This is the stuff he used,regular coconut block,just cut a bit off really.Not sure what you mean about coconut oil,it's just a solid,hard block,there's no oil,at least there's not in this brand which is the one I usually use myself.

Nearly every block of KTC coconut cream I've bought has been separated into cream and oil, maybe it's a function of the way it's stored during the supply chain, or maybe you just haven't noticed that the end part of your block is crumbly and a different colour. Well anyway it's not important I suppose, only that potentially your BIR might be deliberately adding one or other part of the block for some reason.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Never noticed that before,always had mine in the fridge.I'll ask next time I'm in the takeaway but I'm sure even they haven't noticed there's a difference.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2014, 06:29 AM »
I completely mucked it up
I have no idea how
I made a basic curry and it didn't taste as good as the base
It just goes to show how important technique is

littlechilie

« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Full credit to you haldi many of us myself included would blame the base, your 100% nail on the head technique and timing are everything IMO.
Doesn't it Suck so bad when we get it wrong !!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2014, 11:47 AM »
So people can see what we mean about the oil in the coconut block here's a pic I took of my Heera brand block...the oil is the obvious white bit on the left. If you taste it it lacks any coconut flavour, it's just solidified oil.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2014, 11:57 AM »
Hi
All some are still struggling with the techniques for spice cooking 
I will post some notes on method and start a new thread where to post as this is jbs thread
any ideas?

©2024 Curry Recipes