Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 312145 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Is it definitely finely chopped garlic, not finely sliced garlic which is added to the base?

Already been answered

"Yes" or "No" would have been two words shorter and infinitely more informative.
** Phil.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Yes  :)

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2014, 03:19 PM »
If I'm reading the recipe and Jb's replies correctly.

The base can be left as is after it's initial blending, (so it can be frozen at this point?)

The base dilution and garlic tarka are not necessarily done to the whole base, but are done before cooking the final dishes, so 1 garlic clove is used for a smaller amount of base rather than the whole batch as it first read.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2014, 04:23 PM »

Nope, Maybe reading it again from the beginning, will help you;)

cheers chewy

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Well that's still what i'm taking away from it after reading it again...

"The chef then explained that in the takeaway they leave the gravy like this(it's quite thick) and then add water to thin when they need it.It should be very thin,like watery soup.However when it hits the hot pan it will thicken.Finally take another pan,add a chef's spoon of oil and add a very finely chopped garlic clove and brown it.Tip this into the gravy(rinse the garlic pan out with a spoon of gravy).This seemed to give the gravy a fantastic smokey like flavour.Simmer the sauce for about half an hour and the oil should begin to rise."

Then

"I only diluted about a third of my gravy(the rest is in the freezer) and added one clove of garlic.I'll have to ask next time but maybe if you dilute the whole 3 kilo's worth of base then you do have to add more garlic,say three or four,I honestly don't know.If you do have to add more than maybe the BIR smell could even be more intense."

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2014, 06:44 PM »
"The chef then explained that in the takeaway they leave the gravy like this(it's quite thick) and then add water to thin when they need it.

Yes but this is restaurant quantities. So they make a huge pan of the base..leave it overnight possibly...then next day pour some of it into another pan (when they need it), dilute, add tarka, boil. I found the oil release is exceptional on this base because of the added water to dilute.

Gotta be honest though...i have no idea why ppl think this is in any way a superior base. It's very much bog standard...jb no offence mate, just the way it is for me.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2014, 06:47 PM »

Nope, Maybe reading it again from the beginning, will help you;)

cheers chewy

Or you could elaborate a little and help the fella out.  ::)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Agreed - help us all out, cos this whole base is confused.com

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Cheers SS. That makes perfect sense regarding the volumes of take away bases.

Jb said he'd frozen 2/3rds of his (3kg's?) base and others who had tried it were opining that 1 clove was probably not enough for the whole batch (which is how the recipe first read to me).

Even re-reading it I still see no reason why the remainder of the concentrated base could not be frozen after the initial blend (saving space) and when ready for a few days use, several portions are unfrozen, diluted, the tarka added, simmered and is then ready for use.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Even re-reading it I still see no reason why the remainder of the concentrated base could not be frozen after the initial blend (saving space) and when ready for a few days use, several portions are unfrozen, diluted, the tarka added, simmered and are then ready for use.

By far the better way to do it..at home. Although I wonder if there would be much difference in freezing it unblended and then blending, dluting etc. after?

©2024 Curry Recipes