Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310653 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Jb said he'd frozen 2/3rds of his (3kg's?) base and others who had tried it were opining that 1 clove was probably not enough for the whole batch (which is how the recipe first read to me).

I think jb realised that his initial quantities were wrong based on forgetting that he'd frozen 2/3rds of the base.
I go well above that to achieve an effect that I consider worth using. At least one garlic clove per portion. That's finely chopped and fried until it's almost burnt, but not actually burnt. It's fairly easy to tell as apart from the obvious colour change the garlic gets all sticky and clumpy. The need for a swill out of the pan with some base is entirely unnecessary, in my opinion. There is no residue to deglaze...perhaps jb can enlighten us as to that.

littlechilie

« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Jb I'm just finishing up making my third 3kg batch of this base ;) I just don't know we're it's going!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:03 PM by littlechilie »

littlechilie

« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Hi all I had time to make two pots of Jb's base today, we are having guests over at the weekend so I need base sauce for cooking.

For the first batch I used my new aluminium pan, and for the second batch I knocked up the 3kG base in a pressure cooker.

I have been tasting both bases this evening, I wanted to see if there was a difference in the cooking method! ;)

The aluminium pan was a tasty batch of base, I used 5 cloves of garlic for the Tarka then simmered for 30 mins till oil rises.

The second batch was in my pressure cooker! It cut the cooking time down to 1 hour15 instead of 3 hrs. Then I added spice,coconut,toms and salt cooked at pressure for another 15 mins.
I sieved this base! Also then added the 5 cloves of garlic Tarka to the gravy.

Simmered for 30 mins in pan till oil rises, this base was just as good as the other if I go with my first impression the pressure cooked version tasted even better!!

So conclusion for anyone cooking Jb's  base, it can also be cooked to perfection in a pressure cooker with no loss of flavour and much time,energy saved.

Photo Pressure Cooked Base 3kg onions.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:47 PM by littlechilie »

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2014, 08:39 PM »
lc what onions have you tried in making this base? The ones I used where British tennis ball sized and the only type they sell in big sacks in the Indian shops.

littlechilie

« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Hi MA I usually buy Aldi large onions as they are always spot on. But today I got a 25kg net from our market guy for a couple of pound  8)
They're smaller and he said new onions!! Whatever that is, but there is little difference in the taste base wise.
I believe Jb did tell us the manager said any white onions are good to go!

What's your opinion?

Thanks.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2014, 09:03 PM »
I normally use the supermarket larger onions, 3 in a pack (mostly these are spanish or dutch), but for jb base I used tennisball english bought in large sack from Indian store. They werent as strong as the ones that make you cry, but they were not overly weak either. Did these improve the base? I dont think I can get to the Indian store this week so I will be using the supermarket ones instead

Offline Tabs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2014, 01:23 AM »
My stages of JBS base , pan only just holds the first bulk so
had to split into thirds and then Tarka :)

Offline Tabs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2014, 01:32 AM »
For the tarka i assumed JBs chef spoon was 4 tablespoon size, i only have a two so it
was two of my spoons of veg oil and one garlic clove per third of base. o ye and a baby wok for six pound from tesco to make it lol :)

Offline Tabs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2014, 01:36 AM »
PPS: added 300 ml of water to each third,hope it works out for you :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2014, 01:56 PM »
JB could you edit the recipe on the first page please because after wading through these pages only to find that the tarka has to be added after the base has been diluted, also how many cloves of garlic are added?

©2024 Curry Recipes