Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 313311 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2014, 02:04 PM »
Excellent idea, as this somewhat epic thread has a wee update every couple of pages, hein?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2014, 09:34 PM »
JB could you edit the recipe on the first page please because after wading through these pages only to find that the tarka has to be added after the base has been diluted, also how many cloves of garlic are added?

Hi Guys,sorry I've been on a caravan holiday all week.I had a takeaway about 2 minutes' walk away.....I couldn't resist it...ended up in there four nights in a row.They had their sacks of onions behind the counter,it was funny I was trying to get a good look at them they thought it was quite amusing!!!

Trying to catch up on anything I've missed.Definetely not garlic on the tikka massala,just a garnish of almond flakes and sultanas which is common down here in Essex.Will try to get back in the takeaway next week and ask some more questions.Not sure why some are finding the base so confusing.I though my initial description was pretty accurate,the only glitch was the amount of garlic added for the tarka.I just forgot that the chef didn't blend the whole base and only and added 1 clove of garlic,I'm guessing four or five will be ok for the whole base but I will check next time.It does say in my first post that the base is blended/watered down and then the tarka is added.Any questions and I will glady try and answer them.

''Then add 1/4 chef spoon turmeric,tiny amount of chilli powder,1/4 chef spoon cumin powder,1/4 chef spoon corriander powder,1 chef spoon  blended tomatoes.Re-cover and then turn the flame down(so the bottom doesn't catch )and cook for another half an hour,then blend until smooth.''

I actually got into another kitchen the day before I went on holiday.I do a spot of DJ'ing in my spare time,last Saturday I was in a restaurant I DJ regularly,the Manager invited me into the kitchen and meet his staff.He's aware of my cooking skills and invited me back any time I want to help his chefs out.The tandoori chef put me on the spot and asked me to cook a naan bread for them,there was about a dozen staff in the kitchen...all looking at me!!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:49 PM by jb »

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2014, 10:05 PM »
DJ jb how did your nan turn out? Hope you didnt burn your hands

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2014, 10:17 PM »
Being a DJ did you make the nan from scratch wikki wikki wikki. :)

littlechilie

« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2014, 11:45 PM »
Hope you used a good mix for that Naan jb ;D

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Well JB all i can say is that this base is fantastic, the smell, the taste even the texture is excellent. I will be cooking a lot of dishes with this base.
Thanks JB for posting this recipe i am a very happy chappy.
Bombay Aloo using  base
Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

Garlic Chilli Chicken

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Wish we could smell photos :D nice!

littlechilie

« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Looking tasty  ;)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Nice looking dishes UF, great to see more people having success with this base  :)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Looking good to me I must say.Glad you're happy with the base.

©2024 Curry Recipes