Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310707 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2014, 01:22 PM »
UF :D
Pleased you like this base
The 2nd batch I done had 8 cloves in the tarka and tasted even better
But I am an Ox when using garlic

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2014, 03:56 PM »
But a noble one, eh!

Yeah I'm gonna ladle in the garlic too :)

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 20, 2014, 08:23 PM »
JB, thanks

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2014, 07:26 PM »

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Can I check, are we saying 6 cloves of garlic for 3kg of onions, so if I worked with 1.5kg onions then 3 cloves would be right? Are the garlic cloves chopped or sliced before frying?

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Are the garlic cloves chopped or sliced before frying?
Page 1 Don in the recipe itself :o

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2014, 03:44 AM »
i wish they had told JB the secret of how they get the bir taste into it as well that would of been good,other wise it is just more boiled blended veg and a selection of spices pulled out of a hat that you make a ok curry but a million miles away from being a bir,you must no this before you start to cook that there is going to be something missing from what you have been told so that is why i rarely visit the TAs and restaraunts in my area because they seem to get a kick from making a fool out of you,i asked a chef in my nearest  TA to show me how to make a curry once he said you buy a curry and i will show you,he showed me the final dish i was having then said buy one tomorrow i will show you  how to make base so i went in he said make order i tell you which i did and he said boil lots of onion garlic ginger for 1 hour had turmeric and chillie powder and oil blend and its done,so there was a balti bowl of bombay mix on the counter so i chucked it all over him as i was leaving,they stooped that low for a tenner.

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2014, 06:48 AM »
Are the garlic cloves chopped or sliced before frying?
Page 1 Don in the recipe itself :o

Yes it says finely chopped - I wanted to check that with the author of the recipe because I know how easy it is to write one thing and mean something different. 6 cloves of finely chopped garlic seems like a lot to me, but WTHDIK.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2014, 07:15 AM »
Hi
MP. Are you saying that you have cooked the JB base to speck. Then cooked a recipe to spec the same as other members but tastes nothing like a BIR curry ?
Regards

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2014, 08:40 AM »
I made this base last night - half quantity (1.5kg onions) and 3 large cloves of garlic for the tarka, but otherwise to spec. It yielded 6 x 300g portions, each of which will probably take a further 150g water to achieve my usual double portion of base at the required consistency.

This base is completely different to any I have made previously (CA, Abdul Mohed, ChewyTikka, Zaal, Mouchak, Mick Crawford, my own and probably a few others I've forgotten) but its a sort of good different, if that makes any sense.

The undiluted base is very smooth on the palate (probably due to the coconut block) but the interesting thing for me is that I can't pin down any specific flavours. But it tastes good - very good!

I'll be making a curry with the base tonight. I haven't decided what it's going to be yet, but it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Maybe Chewy's Madras will fit the bill, or maybe his Rezala which has more complex flavours.

It won't be bad, I'm sure of that, but I was interested to see Garabi Army say that it was reminscent of SE London curries so its unlikely to taste anything that I've previously been accustomed to.

Looking forward to it, anyway! Update to follow.

©2024 Curry Recipes