Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310648 times)

littlechilie

Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Madpower, the fishing's not so good here!

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 22, 2014, 10:34 AM »
i wish they had told JB the secret of how they get the bir taste into it as well that would of been good,other wise it is just more boiled blended veg and a selection of spices pulled out of a hat that you make a ok curry but a million miles away from being a bir,you must no this before you start to cook that there is going to be something missing from what you have been told so that is why i rarely visit the TAs and restaraunts in my area because they seem to get a kick from making a fool out of you,i asked a chef in my nearest  TA to show me how to make a curry once he said you buy a curry and i will show you,he showed me the final dish i was having then said buy one tomorrow i will show you  how to make base so i went in he said make order i tell you which i did and he said boil lots of onion garlic ginger for 1 hour had turmeric and chillie powder and oil blend and its done,so there was a balti bowl of bombay mix on the counter so i chucked it all over him as i was leaving,they stooped that low for a tenner.

A testament to your people skills eh!!! :D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 22, 2014, 10:50 AM »
Looking forward to your report Naga. I'm sure it'll be worth reading unlike one or two comments in this thread   ::)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 22, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Madpower, the fishing's not so good here!

:D

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 22, 2014, 01:25 PM »
i rarely visit the TAs and restaraunts in my area because they seem to get a kick from making a fool out of you
I dont think you need to visit them for that result

so there was a balti bowl of bombay mix on the counter so i chucked it all over him as i was leaving
Well done big man , hope you was proud of yourself

Haha there are some simpletons around  ;)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 22, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Hi
Did anyone notice the post was at 3:44 am. Or do I have in the words of Elvis a suspicious mind ?
Regards

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2014, 02:15 PM »
I was interested to see Garabi Army say that it was reminscent of SE London curries so its unlikely to taste anything that I've previously been accustomed to.

Looking forward to it, anyway! Update to follow.

I live in Hull and this base tastes just like the ones I get from the Restaurants around here,
 I would stick to the Madras rather than a more complex curry Naga, as you will get a better answer to whether you like the base or not. Look forward to your results , hope you have as much success as I and others have had.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 22, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Hi
Did anyone notice the post was at 3:44 am. Or do I have in the words of Elvis a suspicious mind ?
Regards

Ha ha! Commis you think maybe he should take a little water with it....?! ;) :D

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 22, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Well, I did Chewy's Rezala using JB's Base tonight.

It was good. Different. But good.

I think the first thing that struck me most was the smoothness of the curry on the palate. It was the same sensation I experienced when I tasted the base on its own, so I'm putting that down to the inclusion of the coconut block as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

The second thing was that the curry wasn't recognisable as anything similar I've been used to, having eaten curries across Scotland for more years than I care to remember. I mean, obviously it was a curry, but just, well, different.

It was certainly better than many curries I've had the misfortune of eating, and way better than any restaurant/takeaway curry I've had in the past 10 years. But the difference to my usual fare was stark.

I don't look for that "missing 5%" in my curries. I'm more than happy to produce better curries in my own kitchen than I can buy commercially and I've been in that place for a couple of years now, thanks to CRO and its brilliant contributors.

I've got another 5 portions of this base and it'll definitely get used up before I make more base, so some more curries to look forward to, but I'll probably go back to one of my more favoured bases.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 22, 2014, 09:05 PM »
way better than any restaurant/takeaway curry I've had in the past 10 years.

You must be going to the wrong restaurants bud.

Looks nice though. As someone else said recently, ever think of adding some fresh coriander?

©2024 Curry Recipes