Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 312909 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #250 on: August 22, 2014, 09:12 PM »
i wish they had told JB the secret of how they get the bir taste into it as well that would of been good,other wise it is just more boiled blended veg and a selection of spices pulled out of a hat that you make a ok curry but a million miles away from being a bir,you must no this before you start to cook that there is going to be something missing from what you have been told so that is why i rarely visit the TAs and restaraunts in my area because they seem to get a kick from making a fool out of you,i asked a chef in my nearest  TA to show me how to make a curry once he said you buy a curry and i will show you,he showed me the final dish i was having then said buy one tomorrow i will show you  how to make base so i went in he said make order i tell you which i did and he said boil lots of onion garlic ginger for 1 hour had turmeric and chillie powder and oil blend and its done,so there was a balti bowl of bombay mix on the counter so i chucked it all over him as i was leaving,they stooped that low for a tenner.

And they say the beauty of the English language is dying - well done Michael Gove.....

Offline RingStinger

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 22, 2014, 09:45 PM »
way better than any restaurant/takeaway curry I've had in the past 10 years.

You must be going to the wrong restaurants bud.

Looks nice though. As someone else said recently, ever think of adding some fresh coriander?

Hi Garp and all

I have been searching for this allusive "taste" for more than 20 years.  It has got to the point where I don't even know what the "taste" is anymore!  All I do know, is whenever we go out for a curry in Oxford these days, we are very disappointed that it is not as good as what we cook at home...

I have recently tried JB's base and, I have to say, it is very interesting.  To taste, it is very bland BUT, it does taste REALLY good-I kept on sticking my finger in for more  :)

I have cooked a few curries with this base: CTM-went down well, but it always does.  I use Julian's Masala Sauce recipe for this; also a Chicken Bhuna and Jalfrezi-both were good, but very rich-I suppose this is down to the coconut block in the recipe.  Also a Dhansak, which I thought was a bit too garlicky as I also put garlic into my lentils.  I split the original batch of base into three portions and have been thawing it out and adding one to two cloves of garlic as a tarka. 

Keep up the good work JB.  Thanks for posting this!

Cheers

Nick

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 22, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Welcome Ringstinger (nice nick).

You sound like you know what you're talking about so please feel free to contribute more :)

I haven't made JB's base, and probably won't as I'm happy with mine; but blandness is good in a base, in my opinion. You can then use it for many dishes.

Offline RingStinger

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 22, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Well, I did Chewy's Rezala using JB's Base tonight.

Looks amazing.  Shame I had Fish and Chips tonight...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:33 PM by George »

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 22, 2014, 11:29 PM »
Hi
I've looked through JB's posts on this, his posts on the visit and the sauce. Can anyone please tell me which part of the UK this base is from.
Regards

littlechilie

« Reply #255 on: August 22, 2014, 11:48 PM »
Wow one shift at work and I missed like 15 posts!! I need a life ;D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 23, 2014, 01:19 AM »
Can anyone please tell me which part of the UK this base is from.
Regards
Just in case jb doesn't log on in the next few hours or so, we're talking about the South East of England.  Essex in fact. And to be more specific without naming the establishment, it's within a 6 mile radius of the dartford crossing.
Is that specific enough for you commis?? ;D

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 23, 2014, 02:27 AM »
Hi
Curryhell. Yes I do I have friends involved in the Leaside wood recycling project down there so thanks very much. And that (edited) tunnel always has road works on a Sunday night when I'm coming back from mainland Europe.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 23, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Hi naga,
 Which is your favoured base?

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2014, 10:16 AM »
I kept on sticking my finger in for more  :)
Hope it was clean, I tend to use a spoon

©2024 Curry Recipes