Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310655 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Hi naga,
 Which is your favoured base?

For the last 8 months or so, my own - it's my take based on a number of gravies I've used in the past, but follows the general theme of onion gravy, baghaar and dilution.

I'm thinking of going back to Abdul Mohed's enhanced base gravy for old times sake as I really enjoyed it near the beginning of my BIR curry journey, but I haven't made up my mind yet. To be honest, I can't really remember what it was like, only that I thought it was good at the time.

Anyway, I've still 5 portions of JB's base left and, although I said it was different to what I was used to, I also said it was good. Besides, my good lady wife was telling me only this morning how much she enjoyed the curry with JB's base last night, so my mind may have already been made up for me! :)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 23, 2014, 11:58 AM »
cheers naga, the more I have used jb base the more I like it and the feedback I have been getting from the resultant curries is really good  :)

littlechilie

« Reply #262 on: August 26, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Hi Jb, I have just made my 5th batch of your gravy. For anyone interested in making the gravy stay with it coz the more I have made it the closer I get to my end goal.

There is some very important steps in cooking the gravy, one I feel is heat! I'm cooking the base on a wok burner high flame until the simmer.
This melts everything and leaves no detectable boiled taste to the onions. Not saying you can't slow simmer just stating my preference.

Second is the garlic Tarka, adding liquid of the top of the base sends it in to a crazy Sizzle and a wonderful aroma you just know is right. This also stops the browning of gthe garlic in its tracks, as to brown and it's burnt, it's quite a fine line I find.
I have been soaking my garlic slices in water, then squeezing them out before adding to the oil. This slows the browning down and gives a better tatse for me, as the garlic is now not getting burnt and gives me more controle on the browning.
It also seems to prevented the garlic becoming sticky for me.

The end resulting gravy leaves me needing to only add a very little spice in the curry stage, this is due to the gravy being 90% of the finished result IMO.

korma needs no oil added with Jb's base just everything straight to pan and stir, perfect korma results in moments using preecooked meat.

Madras is needing oil or gee, less than a teaspoon of mix powder small methi,tomato paste and chilli powder dast of tamarind sauce and I'm there in moments. Also preecooked meat!

Jb I hope you can update the forum soon, if you can provide more inside information it will be greatly received I'm sure.

Regards.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2014, 10:14 PM »
Hi Jb, I have just made my 5th batch of your gravy. For anyone interested in making the gravy stay with it coz the more I have made it the closer I get to my end goal.

There is some very important steps in cooking the gravy, one I feel is heat! I'm cooking the base on a wok burner high flame until the simmer.
This melts everything and leaves no detectable boiled taste to the onions. Not saying you can't slow simmer just stating my preference.

Second is the garlic Tarka, adding liquid of the top of the base sends it in to a crazy Sizzle and a wonderful aroma you just know is right. This also stops the browning of gthe garlic in its tracks, as to brown and it's burnt, it's quite a fine line I find.
I have been soaking my garlic slices in water, then squeezing them out before adding to the oil. This slows the browning down and gives a better tatse for me, as the garlic is now not getting burnt and gives me more controle on the browning.
It also seems to prevented the garlic becoming sticky for me.

The end resulting gravy leaves me needing to only add a very little spice in the curry stage, this is due to the gravy being 90% of the finished result IMO.

korma needs no oil added with Jb's base just everything straight to pan and stir, perfect korma results in moments using preecooked meat.

Madras is needing oil or gee, less than a teaspoon of mix powder small methi,tomato paste and chilli powder dast of tamarind sauce and I'm there in moments. Also preecooked meat!

Jb I hope you can update the forum soon, if you can provide more inside information it will be greatly received I'm sure.

Regards.

Glad it's working out for you,sounds like you have been very busy!!  The first stage should be cooked on  a very high heat(with lid on).The method the gravy was cooked was exactly as it's cooked in the takeaway.Not simmered,I think it's important the method is followed correctly as you won't get the same results.The same for the tarka,he rinsed the pan out for a specific reason.it makes a big difference.

I'll get back in there as soon as I can,don't worry all will be revealed!

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 26, 2014, 10:18 PM »
I'll get back in there as soon as I can,don't worry all will be revealed!

look forward to it jb

littlechilie

« Reply #265 on: August 26, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Cheers for the reply JB ;)

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 30, 2014, 08:35 AM »
I took a base out of the freezer yesterday, and when I opened it later, it did not smell right, it wasnt the Jb base it was a previous base, cant remember which/who's base it was (aussie one maybe).
 Anyway it didnt smell off/bad or anything like that, it just didnt smell right, it tasted ok , like any other base really but not like Jbs base, I didnt even want to use it as I knew my curry would be disappointing compared to my recent attempts,  didnt use it :o . Still got some jb base for tonight though  ;) :) ;D

littlechilie

« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Just boiling up another batch of the famous Jb base gravy  :) I will be upping the oil content in order to capture more of that BIR authenticity.
I'm Going by Jb's original madras photo that sates it had the taste,and smell! I'm guessing I'm short half a litre of oil in the base to Replicate this Madras. 8)
Keep u updated.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 03, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Good work LC, we need Jb's madras recipe to fully appreciate this base

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 05, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Finally!  I made a batch of the base last night, it definitely had something going on during the cook process.  The flavor intensified once the tarka was added and re-boiled.  Decided I couldn't wait forever and made a Vindaloo for lunch.

It was delicious and definitely something moreish about it compared to past iterations.  I can't wait to try more dishes using this base, as I feel it adds a substance that wasn't there in some of my previous attempts.  I had already tried watering down other base I had, and that also made a difference in the cooking process and end sauce consistency/taste, but this still has something more.

I just took a taste of the sauce, cold, all this time later.  There is definitely something special here, so I look forward to making other dishes with it soon to see what else it can do.

My only regret is not having any restaurants nearby anymore to use as a taste comparison.

©2024 Curry Recipes