Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310667 times)

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #280 on: September 16, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Have been meaning to give JB's base a go for ages now, and finally have the need for more base gravy, so I intend to make it this week sometime.

There is a huge number of pages on this thread, and rather than read through each post, can someone please answer some questions...

1) Onions 3kg - Is that peeled weight or unpeeled.  Probably being pedantic right ?
2) Red AND Green Pepper, or either ?
3) After adding the garlic tarka to the base, and then cooking further, the base is blended again right ?
4) I plan to use 2Kg onions, so will scale recipe down accordingly.  I'll use about 4 cloves of garlic for the tarka.  Seem right ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline currymeariver

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 16, 2014, 06:43 PM »

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Have been meaning to give JB's base a go for ages now, and finally have the need for more base gravy, so I intend to make it this week sometime.

There is a huge number of pages on this thread, and rather than read through each post, can someone please answer some questions...

1) Onions 3kg - Is that peeled weight or unpeeled.  Probably being pedantic right ?
3) After adding the garlic tarka to the base, and then cooking further, the base is blended again right ?
4) I plan to use 2Kg onions, so will scale recipe down accordingly.  I'll use about 4 cloves of garlic for the tarka.  Seem right ?

Thanks in advance.

this is what I did
1) was unpeeled weight
2) I used red & green
3) I didn't blend again after the tarka
4) I scaled it down to half measures, and it wasn't as good.Make the full amount

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Thanks Haldi.. I plan to make a 2kg base though... Have to got a big enough pot of 3. 

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2014, 08:15 PM »

Thanks in advance.

It was unpeeled onions,both a red and green pepper(they were quite small).No need to blend after adding the tarka,just simmer again for about half an hour and the tarka seems to disappear itself.Four cloves seem about right.Hope you enjoy it.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2014, 08:30 PM »
I've made this to spec jb. It was the peppers that caught my eye rather than the tarka which ive tried before.
 Ive not had time to cook with it, but it tastes excellent. Could be one of the best I've made for a while  :)
Ill use my usual masala paste & recipes to make a few dishes.

Did they use a non sweet masala sauce at all?

Cheers for the recipe

ELW

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2014, 09:54 PM »
It was the peppers that caught my eye rather than the tarka which ive tried before.

Are you saying that you've never tried peppers in a base before?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2014, 10:01 PM »
It was the peppers that caught my eye rather than the tarka which ive tried before.

Not 2 whole peppers (big ones)in 3kg of onions no
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:12 PM by ELW »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2014, 10:28 PM »

Ah, ok. But jb states "both a red and green pepper(they were quite small)".

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 16, 2014, 10:36 PM »

Ah, ok. But jb states "both a red and green pepper(they were quite small)".
He stated that way too late for me. What to do with the yellow pepper that's left is the big question in my house, tonight & tomorrow
Don't know if you've made this yet  ss, it's really good

©2024 Curry Recipes