Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 312176 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #340 on: October 01, 2014, 03:37 PM »
(removed to off-topic thread; posted here in error).

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 01, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Sorry, resize to 680 x 510; mental arithmetic let me down on this occasion :(

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 02, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Well after over 2 months, I finally took the plunge and made this. Did the first stage in the pressure cooker and as I forgot to get peppers on my shop yesterday, I had to substitute the red for a yellow. I also added a 5 clove garlic tarka at the end off stage 2 instead of the one and then bended with my new Kenwood triblade (700W) hand blender which made short work of it compared to my vintage moulinex hand blender. Very pleased with it. Anyway here's a photo whilst on its last simmer. Its looking and tasting very good. Just need to find some freezer room now  :-\

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 02, 2014, 10:08 AM »
Good pic! But could you please resize it so there's a scrollbar at the bottom? Cheers :P ;)  LOL

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 04, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Got jb's base on the go done to spec.

Going back a few pages, I have the same coconut block at my local Asian grocery as jb shown.

two thirds is more yellow looking. I used the quarter of the more white bit. Don't know if on the next base I cut some the yellowy outer bit?

Would be good if jb could do a video of him doing the base. More so the high heat bit, would like to see how high you really get and peak how much the base/onions are rolling/bubbling. Full high heat seems a bit much on my cooker. Anyway I've got it on a fairly high heat and is bubbling away quite ferociously.

Also could show on the video show what is considered by you for melting onions.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 04, 2014, 05:12 PM »
I read somewhere (possibly/probably here) that the oil tends to separate in coconut blocks and congregate at one end; if this is the case, then I would have expected that the yellowish end woulod be the solidified coconut oil, and the coconut solids are the white end, but as you report more yellow than white, then I may be wrong (unless there really was only about 1/3 coconut solids in your block, which I suppose is a possibility).

** Phil.

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 04, 2014, 05:45 PM »
I've just cut more into the coconut block to see how much more yellow there is and it does look to be one third white and two thirds yellow or off white.

The store just has the KTC blocks on the shelf, no refrigeration. best before is 2016. Question would be do some of you have these blocks without separation or just didn't notice? Are two thirds for the bin or do we need to add a bit of the solidified oil?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 04, 2014, 06:37 PM »
The white bit is the separated coconut oil and has very little flavour - try some. You should be using the yellow bit. All the blocks I've ever had have this separation.

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 04, 2014, 11:04 PM »

Decent enough curry but my feelings are nothing really new or anything extra special.

Thanks for sharing and the effort jb

©2024 Curry Recipes