Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310669 times)

littlechilie

Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #370 on: October 12, 2014, 08:42 PM »
After a little more thought on the ladle, I have concluded IMO it has to be a ladle, it would be impossible to get a chefs spoon oil out of a tin as Jb says its in a tin.
I'm guessing it's an old large tomato paste tin used for oil, these have steep sides so the oil would slide of a chefs spoon but a ladle would hold the oil.
Thus would account for the large amount of oil in the curry photo Jb supplied, now wondering if I need this oil to fulfil the flavour fully to spec.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 13, 2014, 08:39 AM »
I have yet to see a chef use much more (or less) than 1 cs of oil (veg ghee or veg ghee/veg oil) for a basic curry, or a madras.  2 cs for a vindaloo.  A little more may be introduced to the dish via the pre-cooks, and of course the base gravy.  Jb's picture looks spot on to me.  Good separation. There should be a decent amount of oil on top of the curry when it's cooked for dishes like these, imo; even more should be visible when it's left to stand (e.g like a takeaway delivery).  No BIR juice is usually a bad omen. 

Rob  :)     

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 13, 2014, 03:26 PM »
 "No BIR juice is usually a bad omen."

That's tickled me. You should have that as your new signature Bob.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 13, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Hi all, this does sound promising and after not making a base for a while I am really excited about giving this a go :)

My main question is do I add enough water to thin out, (per base batch) to double up the entire base batch size?
or is it approx added water of 1 ltr ? 2 ltr etc etc???

Thanks in advance

Hi Mak

At the end of cooking, I added enough water to make the final volume 6 litres. Others made it 7 litres

Regards

Mick

littlechilie

« Reply #374 on: October 13, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Quite agree with what your saying Bob, but unless my eyes are deceiving me the curry photo supplied by JB looks an even 50/50 oil to base sauce, now that's a lot of BIR juice ;)

Offline hazzy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 14, 2014, 08:57 AM »
mine was really thick then (only made 11 portions of 2 ladles each) but I froze them and will thin it out as i use them

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 18, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Just trying this for the second time this evening, managed to burn the onions the first time round :'(

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 18, 2014, 09:16 PM »
My verdict, pleasant enough tasting but doesn't taste of anything in particular unlike the real base sauce I have here; but the garlic gives it a bit of body.

Despite volunteering in a local restaurant kitchen for the last few months and pestering at every opportunity I never got a proper recipe for the gravy - starters, naans, rice, pre-cook, mains - all yes, but no definitive gravy recipe, just a list of ingredients (although I'm not convinced that they are the whole story!).  That's how important the gravy is - replicate that and I can do the rest, the Glasgow Takeaway book gets close, but it's too sweet and sickly, which I've covered on other posts on the subject.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 23, 2014, 11:37 AM »
Really appreciate this recipe thread :thumbsup:

Offline Pugs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 27, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Hi all,

So, having read the past 38 threads a wee bit of conflicting amounts. Can we have a defintive quantity checklist for HOME amounts if possible please?

©2024 Curry Recipes