Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310621 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #430 on: December 14, 2015, 07:56 PM »
I can see me using this base going forward Andy.  It will be interesting to do a direct comparison to the Zaal using identical timings measurements etc.  I think i already know that this base is going to come out on top in terms of what i'm looking for based on my tastes which are like everybody else's, influenced by their experience of their own local favourite BIRs.
As for the tarka, couldn't agree more.  I really did push the browning of the garlic but i do know when to stop and tipping it in to the base did that perfectly.  And the washing of the tarka pan with the base just underlines you've just created a great canvas for experimentation in the kitchen  :D  I added two large cloves and four baby cloves those in the middle that you avoid using till there nothing else.  Next time i'm gonna go for six good average size  or four large.  I'm sure i short measured the garlic but i'll remedy that with the next batch which will be coming up real soon.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 14, 2015, 08:28 PM »
I added two large cloves and four baby cloves those in the middle that you avoid using till there nothing else.  Next time i'm gonna go for six good average size  or four large.
I have been using 4 average size in a 1.5kg version
Hate those small cloves !

Offline Zed666

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 01, 2016, 11:38 AM »
Since I don't really contribute back to the site as much as I should, I figured I would post a couple of phone pics of me making this base  :)...apologies for the poor camera phone quality. The base came out well, but not as orange as others.....I wonder if this is because I am doing a halved version and the amount of colour the turmeric adds to the base is not linear with amounts. I look for the little sweet twang on your gums when making my bases rather than taste, which is more down to how well you have cooked your onions/type of onions....this one came out perfecto.

Begin:

Melting Away:

First Blend:

Tarka Added:

Final Blend & Watered Down:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:10 PM by Zed666 »

Offline Zed666

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 01, 2016, 01:52 PM »
I have just gone back to a few pictures of people making this base and realized I may have messed up slightly...

"1 green pepper/1 red pepper"....I read this as meaning 1 green pepper OR 1 red pepper whilst other people clearly have added both.

Could somebody clarify this?, surely it would have been "1 green pepper & 1 red pepper" if we were meant to use both ?.

The Zaal base is similar and uses just the 1 pepper.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 01, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Z, I did confirm this with jb before i got round to making the base as I was not sure.  It is one small red pepper and one small green pepper.  The fact you've only added one, whilst deviating from the recipe  a fraction ::) , I don't think it will impact too drastically on the overall quality of the base or the results you'll get  ;)  Enjoy.

Offline Zed666

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 01, 2016, 03:09 PM »
Thanks for clarifying CH....I did use pretty much a whole small pepper in my recipe anyway thinking the recipe called for 1 large one.....so for my half portion the quantity would have been about right minus the slight flavour difference.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 03, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Adding a ladle of base to the garlic tarka fry pan gives an incredible aroma, its that point when you know how good a base this is.
now that's a very good point!
Perhaps how the finished curry should be started off?
It does smell absolutely amazing, doesn't it?

I feel I've got the base right now, but still can't make the curry 100%
very frustrating!

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 03, 2016, 07:15 PM »
I feel I've got the base right now, but still can't make the curry 100%
very frustrating!

Very frustrating indeed, maybe down to technique?
Ive made some great curries lately but still have a few "average" ones thrown in to give me a head stratching moment

Offline dave3310

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 24, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Stumbled across this thread a couple of days ago and glad I did.

Knocked up the base yesterday afternoon and before going out last night made a madras sauce......... I can honestly say it was the mutts nuts.  Best I've tasted in many many years.  Will be definitely sticking with this one.

A true BIR taste.

Nice one JB   ;D

Offline KORMAKING

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 14, 2016, 12:13 AM »
Just knocked up my very first base using the JB recipe.

Results we're good  ;D

Knocked up a very quick Ceylon straight away, came out well.

I think I need a little more practice before I get a true BIR taste but certainly on the way!

Cheers to jb and everyone else on this forum!!!

©2024 Curry Recipes