Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310701 times)

Bing

Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #460 on: March 02, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Great reading also. Can anybody tell me Jbs preference base please? Cos their be two. Thankful

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 03, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Sorry, can;t help you there, Bing, but JB is still active [01 March 2018, 19:31:23], so may get back to you soon ...
** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:12 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 03, 2018, 10:14 PM »
I have used this base for 3-4 years now and over the years i have added things taken things out, i probably cook anything from 10-80 curries a week and now this base is the only one i cook with, i don't add the coconut block, this base is very versatile and you can cook any dish with any heat level.
Having said that i do also like to have a batch of Taz's base in the freezer too.
Has for JBs preference i have no idea but i think he uses his newest one but i could be wrong, his bulk cooking also uses Taz's base.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 03, 2018, 10:34 PM »
I used this base a few years back and was well pleased with it.  I haven't used "the Other" one but a quick look shows pretty much the same ingredients except the coconut and coriander stalks.  The processes are both 2 stage so I can't see there would be a whole lot of difference.

Bing

« Reply #464 on: March 04, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Hi

Big thanks and would it be ok to supply me a link to all Jbs recipes thanks .

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 04, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Big thanks and would it be ok to supply me a link to all Jbs recipes thanks .
That would probably take a great deal of work, Bing.  Probably better to visit each of the more important sections for the forum in turn and search for messages by JB.  Alternative follow this link to see all messages by JB in a single thread [there are currently 815 of them].

** Phil.

Bing

« Reply #466 on: March 04, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Big thanks Man. He is the original authentic source.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 04, 2018, 06:03 PM »
Hi guys,I still use my first base gravy,I always manage to get great tasting curries from it.The most important bit is the garlic Tarka,add this to any of the other great bases on here and it will transform a good gravy into one that should taste like your average restaurant gravy.Having said that,it's only a base,remember that the actual cooking of the curries and the technique is also important.The second gravy,from my takeaway chef is quite simple.I've seen my chef cook his gravy dozens of times now,no magic or secret ingedients just a good chef who knows his stuff.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:18 PM by jb »

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 04, 2018, 06:42 PM »
The thought occurs to me that it may be possible, as I have a freezer full of base already, to just add the garlic tarka to some reheated base and then blend. Would it really be that different? Suppose there's one way to find out.

I think it may be better because it will be fresher, rather than have the garlic sitting around in a pot of base sauce for quite a long time. Surely the idea of a tarka is that it's fresh, so that's why it's added to some final dishes, just before serving.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 04, 2018, 07:40 PM »
The thought occurs to me that it may be possible, as I have a freezer full of base already, to just add the garlic tarka to some reheated base and then blend. Would it really be that different? Suppose there's one way to find out.

I think it may be better because it will be fresher, rather than have the garlic sitting around in a pot of base sauce for quite a long time. Surely the idea of a tarka is that it's fresh, so that's why it's added to some final dishes, just before serving.

Some time ago I tried the base gravy from the Curry Craft Book,very similar to most of the gravy recipes on here.At the end I added a garlic Tarka and I have to say the gravy was spot on,

©2024 Curry Recipes