Author Topic: JB'S takeaway massala paste  (Read 20871 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: JB'S takeaway massala paste
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 01:23 AM »
May taste good, but clearly a corner cutting measure for place that sells lots of tikka masala. I make chewytikka's jhal masala mix, which if needed could be easily sweetened for English style tikka masala.
Up here in Gibrovia though , tikka masala is a savoury dish, not sweet
Regards
ELW

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Hi
Sorry if I missed it but did the Balti paste recipe ever get posted ?
Regards

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 08:53 AM »
JBs massala paste recipe does look good but - be honest - is anyone making it to serve to anyone apart from children, women and/or non-curry lovers as several members seem to be suggesting?
although it's not a big favourite meal of mine, I wanted a recipe that goes with JB's base gravy. I have two people visiting me soon and they both love tikka masala, so this should go down well.This paste does taste really nice, and if I cook a few savoury curries as well, it will be a good combination. I wonder how this place cooks it's Korma. That is normally quite similar to a tikka masala. I bet they have a magic paste for that too.
Up here in Gibrovia though , tikka masala is a savoury dish, not sweet
Regards
ELW
Yes, I've come across a savoury one down here too
I was a little surprised
It had a real twang to it
Lemon juice I think

did the Balti paste recipe ever get posted ?
not that I saw
I would love a part two recipes from JB
The base is so good and I'm impressed with this tikka masala paste

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 09:07 AM »
How do you rate the Jb base Haldi? as opposed to the one you normally use, and the one Adey showed you ?

Yes I think we are all eagerly awaiting Jb part 2  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 10:59 AM »
George,

i admit i had same thoughts for long time. since my daughter started having this "red" CTM version i've changed my mind. yes most BIR make a yukky sweet (spelling ok) version. i still have it on my todo list but the local restaurant put a "curry" slant on the dish (i guess a variant). it really works well.

i guess the sugars left out, the coconut flour is reduced, mix powder increased - it really is fav. anyones thoughts on what the pukka recipe would be appreciated.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 11:19 AM »
i guess the sugars left out, the coconut flour is reduced, mix powder increased - it really is fav. anyones thoughts on what the pukka recipe would be appreciated.

When I lived on the Eltham/Chislehurst border, the Ababil used to offer "Tandoori Chicken Jhoul", which was everything that a man could desire -- Tandoori chicken served in a rich, savoury curry sauce with none of the cloying overtones of the normal Chicken Tikka Masala.  Here in Marden the Taj of Kent offers Chicken (Tikka) Shagorana ("Cooked with green chillies and fresh herbs") which was also a pleasant alternative to CTM, but I think that there has been a change of chef in the last year and the quality is noticeably down these days ...  Last night we had some curries from the Marden Tandoori, and although we had ordered a "normal" Chicken Madras, that too was made using chicken tikka (a sign of the times, or simply a misunderstanding ?); nonetheless, it was quite a pleasant dish, as was the Chicken (Tikka) Curry (medium) and the King Prawn Bhuna.

** Phil.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 02:54 PM »
How do you rate the Jb base Haldi? as opposed to the one you normally use, and the one Adey showed you ?
JB's, is the best base I have made

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Phil
A Bir trick is to recycle chicken pieces from uneaten meals and cover in red masalas so you can not tell
I was told this by a Bir worker some time ago If I order a Madras or vindaloo I expect the chicken to yellowish not hi-vis red
With respect to all the good Birs not all recycle leftovers for their own gain
 Got to be careful ;)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Cheers Haldi, I completely agree with you there my friend

Offline Achille17

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 08:22 AM »
I tried this recipe yesterday evening and cooked a CTM which turned out to be really gorgeous!

However I'm not too sure about a few things:

1) which amount a small amount of english mustard or mint sauce means? 1 tsp?
2) how much time do you melt the onions and then how much time do you let the sauce simmer and thicken?
3) I divided the whole paste into 16 individual portions: does it look right?

Many thanks for this recipe, I will definitively cook it again and again!

©2024 Curry Recipes