Author Topic: HeehawBaws Base  (Read 1654 times)

Offline HeehawBaws

• Chef
    • View Profile
HeehawBaws Base
« on: August 02, 2014, 08:57 AM »
There is a bewildering array of base recipes on here, so I'll give you a quick bit of chat about mine so you can decide whether to give it a go or not.

When making curries, I need to make Korma a lot for my Mrs who has a small stomach issue and I've come to see Korma as a good yardstick for a base as it has little to no added spices - just coconut, sugar and cream. If the base is lacking, the korma is boring and most of mine have been. Being from Glasgow, the one I tried when I joined this forum was the Glasgow base, which was getting close but all that oil!  :'( Especially in a korma.

So, I sat down with a spreadsheet and 4 or five of the best/most expert base recipes and came up with the below. This is heavily influenced by the Glasgow/Mr Singh recipes but with much less oil.

The first thing I did was make a korma from it and it was as close to my local Glasgow takeaway as I have ever managed. The Glasgow recipes say you don't need mix powder. I'm not sure how true that is of this one as I've still to try out a few other curries.

HeehawBaws Base Sauce
Requires a big pot!

5kg bag of Onions (chopped)
1 tablespoon Coriander
1 tablespoon Cumin
3 litres Water
1 tablespoon Salt
1 Green pepper (chopped)

Boil and simmer for 2 hours to reduce, then add

400ml Oil
1 Carrot (chopped)
1 Potato (diced)