Author Topic: More Street Food  (Read 8158 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: More Street Food
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 09:33 PM »
She was there but hidden by the wall of the trailer. Smart looking lady too if i may say.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Is that happy chris in the van?

littlechilie

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31 PM »
Free ebook with every portion ? ;D

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 06:22 AM »
Rant on.

I have to say I detest this new wave street food fad, all over hyped and over priced and run by yuppie career changers who've left the square mile and decided to re-invent streetfood as a high margin food sector supported by marketing bullshit.  Worst of the lot is Petra Barran's kerbfood.com who run events where their identikit traders descend en masse and fleece consumers at 6/7/8 quid per tiny portion of various trendy nonsense, complete with twitter and Facebook accounts buzzing away and faux decorated stalls (all in catastrophically unimaginatively identical styles) to support the rip off pricing.

Streetfood should be about low overheads and value pricing - at least it always was before Petra Barran and her new breed showed up. These damn yuppies have stolen a whole genre and through ubiquity and aggressive marketing have made consumers accept the new norm of a half sized portion with drink costing nearly a tenner.

Rant off.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:07 AM by Donald Brasco »

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 09:29 AM »
I sort of agree but its not always the whole picture. Manjits Kitchen for example was brought up from Leeds and would have involved a stop over so the overheads mount up. I'm assuming that they'll have to pay to be at the event which won't be cheap also plus wages etc.  I have to say that the ribs I had weren't bad value at

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Haha quality mate, pretentious (moderated)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:21 AM by George »

littlechilie

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Can't stop myself looking at that lovely aluminium stock pot! Seems way to big for her stove and I WANT it for my range ;D

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 10:25 PM »
I sort of agree but its not always the whole picture. Manjits Kitchen for example was brought up from Leeds and would have involved a stop over so the overheads mount up. I'm assuming that they'll have to pay to be at the event which won't be cheap also plus wages etc. 

But this is just the point, it's the opposite of what street food should be. Once you're paying transport, and the cost of a pitch, plus in the case of Kerb (or similar event marketing types) you're effectively paying a marketing agency a fee you do indeed get to this high overhead business model and that is the *opposite* of street food!  Effectively these people are stealing the brand image of street food and hood winking the public, while serving up overpriced overhyped nonsense and I find it dishonest trading.

I've said my piece.

And yes, Harry Enfield, very clever guy and spot on.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Would you?  ;)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 10:35 PM »
@ Donald Brasco 'Avenue Food' then?  :)

As for the nice pan lc, when where I worked moved into newly built premises I thought they would take all the old pans (like the one your lusting over) but they didn't, they just dumped them all and I was off work when they did it. I was gutted and it still haunts me now.  :( >:(

©2024 Curry Recipes