Author Topic: Fake Kashmiri chillis  (Read 18974 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Fake Kashmiri chillis
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:52 AM »
Over the years I have noticed the trend towards Kashmiri chillis top chefs feel in the dark if they do not use them so what is going on?   
Most Kashmiri chillis are not the ones sought after but other common chillis passed off to the consumer at a silly price it is the same and even worse with powders.
 The true Kashmiri chilli is a deep crimson with a smooth, shiny, thin skin It is about 5 cm long by 2.5 cm wide and has a nice fruity flavour. Heat level is medium.
If there is a bitterness there not Kashmiris the powders are very suspect
Its a pity that some home cooks buy the rubbish then assume Kashmiris are all bitter
If anyone gets and real ones keep the seeds they are like gold dust

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Fake Kashmiri chillis
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:07 AM »
I have some dried kashmiri chillis, but now I question whether or not they are genuine. I shall take a look and taste of them later.
I also have the powder, I cant remember the brand now, but have just bought a new bag - Natco Kashmiri which is as of yet still unopened, which I havent had before. I did notice that my kashmiri powder does have a bitter smell especially compared to the MDH deggi mirch, but havent noticed a bitterness in any main dish.
Do you recommend any brands for the powder and whole dried chillis n.o.?

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Hi MA
You just got to search them out you will know when you found the pukka stuff.A good Asian store owner should know " Caveat emptor" as they say in Hull

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Thats 'Ull to you mr ox, when I asked for kashmiri in the store, I was very friendly with the staff at the time, he gave me some indian chillis but it didnt say kashmiri on the packet but he assured me that these were genuine kashmiri chillis. They were not 2.5cm wide though. I am a little confused , when searching the internet the description of kashmiri chillis varies greatly.

Here's the ones I was given, Heera brand

I have just re-hydrated some, chopped them and they taste and smell like kashmiri chilli powder

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Hi MA
Lots of confusion all round its a shame we have to be detectives to get what we want part of the modern world I suppose
They don't look like Kashmiris to me are the mild and fruity or bitter?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:42 AM »
They look like your bog standard dry reds MA, (  unless the picture is after you've rehydrated them.?)
The dried Kashmiri's should be very wrinkled.
The last batch I bought (although very wrinkly) were half the size of the previous batch and were a lot hotter as well.
For a true mild kashmiri, try to source the larger ones at about 5-6 inches long.

Frank.   :)

littlechilie

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Great info Noble Ox ! I am using Eastern Kashmir Chilly powder, it's a product of India from my indian store! Hope it's real Kashmiri as it's not bitter, but I have had bitter powder b4 and it's not good!
Maybe we could compile a list of authentic products? Any body else know this brand?
Thanks.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Nor to me after your description, they are mild and they smell like kashmiri chilli powder, and they are a little bitter. Wouldnt class them as fruity, not in the way say a naga or a habanero has a fruity taste.
Looks like have been mislead !

So where can I get real kashmiri chillis from? What do they really look like? and Do I really need them for cooking?

littlechilie

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Hi MA I believe these are genuine Kashmiri Chilli I have used them before but I could be wrong.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kashmiri-dried-Chilli-Chili-whole-Peppers-50g-1-79-The-Spiceworks-of-Hereford-/350868718383?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51b167c32f

I find I don't use whole chillies unless I am making paste or pastes !

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Cheer lc, the pictures are a little unclear what about these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dried-Chilli-Chili-Kashmiri-Chilli-/111231475136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item19e5e99dc0

I bought my naga products from them, highly recommended

©2024 Curry Recipes