Author Topic: Fake Kashmiri chillis  (Read 18934 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Fake Kashmiri chillis
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44 PM »
 :) n ox

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 04:53 PM »
N.Ox
Question: Do you actually have and use Kashmiri Chillis (Whole or Powdered) ?  :D

MA
I would go with SD

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Cheers chewy, I use Kashmiri chilli powder, and would have liked to grind my own using the dried chillis, is MDH Kashmiri Mirch the same as deggi mirch?

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Hi Chewytikka
I used to grow them but imo there over-rated I prefer the reliable cayenne chilli dries well and powders up quite fine It seems a lot of effort to get a reddish colour

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 06:10 PM »
MA
No, Deggi Mirch  is a registered product, created by MDH.

You won

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Chewy
Very informative , thanks again. Deggi mirch is definitely not mild, hotter than the kashmiri chilli powders I have sampled also. I do also love the foil packaging and consistency, I cant recall ever having any Deggi Mirch that tasted any differently from previous packs, but then again maybe I wouldnt have noticed .

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 12:04 PM »
No, Deggi Mirch  is a registered product, created by MDH.

You won

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Interestingly I am reading '50 Great Curries of India' by Camellia Panjabi, she refers to the Kashmiri chillies we buy as 'so called Kashmiri chillies'. She explains;  '... when I tried to trace the origin of the Kashmiri chilli in the wholesale chilli markets in India, I found that Kashmir itself did not export the quantities of Kashmiri chillies being sold everywhere, and a similar variety was being cultivated in northern Karnataka, the region east of Goa, and in Andhra, and was widely sold all over India as Kashmiri chilli!'
Apparently the true Kashmiri chilli is not as long as the ones we buy, but I don't think there is any need for concern as I doubt if any of us could tell the difference in a taste test.
By the way, if you enjoy Indian home style cooking I would highly recommend this book.

Cheers,
Ken

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Interestingly I am reading '50 Great Curries of India' by Camellia Panjabi, she refers to the Kashmiri chillies we buy as 'so called Kashmiri chillies'. She explains;  '... when I tried to trace the origin of the Kashmiri chilli in the wholesale chilli markets in India, I found that Kashmir itself did not export the quantities of Kashmiri chillies being sold everywhere, and a similar variety was being cultivated in northern Karnataka, the region east of Goa, and in Andhra, and was widely sold all over India as Kashmiri chilli!'
Apparently the true Kashmiri chilli is not as long as the ones we buy, but I don't think there is any need for concern as I doubt if any of us could tell the difference in a taste test.
By the way, if you enjoy Indian home style cooking I would highly recommend this book.

Cheers,
Ken
Never mind all that Ken, spill the beans about the h4ppychris visit  :)

regards
ELW

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Never mind all that Ken, spill the beans about the h4ppychris visit  :)

regards
ELW

Yes Ken come on spill those beans  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes