Author Topic: Tender lamb joint - what's best method  (Read 24549 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tender lamb joint - what's best method
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Well give us yours Rob :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 11:56 PM »
I can't get my head around the Glasgow pre-cooks.

Rob  :)

Seriously? In what way? Pre-cooked chicken, lamb etc. is a prerequisite of BIR cooking.

Just avoid parboiling in turmeric...not good.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Jerry
I once cooked a leg of lamb tandoor. I stuck 3 skewers through the leg so it stood up inside the tandoor like a tripod. I marinated it first. It was a bit of an expensive disaster. I seriously misjudged the cooking time and incinerated it. It was a long time ago now, and cant for the life of me remember how long I left it cooking for, but it wasn't long at all. Maybe 30 minutes or so? At the time I didn't even think about the dripping fat igniting as well...
If I had got it right though, it would definitely have been black on the outside but tender on the inside. It would also have skewer holes running through it too of course that I would imagine you would have seen in your meal out.

Just a thought

Regards

Mick

littlechilie

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 04:13 PM »

made this mistake myself along while ago, nothing like the real thing when it comes to pre-cooking meat...    ;)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 06:11 PM »
I can't get my head around the Glasgow pre-cooks.

Seriously? In what way? Pre-cooked chicken, lamb etc. is a prerequisite of BIR cooking.

I'm not dismissing the recipe, just don't follow it.  So, it's basically pile everything into a pan and cook until the meat is tender.  Where's the fun in that?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 06:32 PM »
Repeating myself now. How would you do it?

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Sorry Garp.  Though I'd mentioned in the past; perhaps I haven't.  I pre-cook lamb similarly to the Ifindforu recipe(s).  Couple of differences.  The initial fry stage (bagar) is quenched with onion/green pepper blended in water. These days I always use mutton/lamb on-the-bone for BIR curries (just de-bone it prior to pan cook).  One of the following is also a must, for me.  Green cardamom, black cardamon, or green cardamom/mace.  I would also say that half a cup of oil is adequate for 1 kg of pre-cooked meat, when you know what you are doing, less.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Thanks, I'll go and search for that one now.....

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Also worth checking over the Viceroy pre-cooked chicken video.  Essentially the same thing; just needs adapting for other meats; whole spices used/time until just tender.  The Viceroy video is excellent showing the bagar.  However, one reason why such footage is rarely seen is that most of it is done with the lid-on. Worth thinking about that one. Also, similar for pre-cooked veg, again with adaptation of the spicing etc.  I suppose it might seem pointless using a technique to extract flavour from spices quickly (bagar) for lamb that is going to be slow cooked.  But is 1 1/2 - 2 hrs for red meat really slow cooking?  Nope, imo.

Also thinking raan for Jerry.  Sure Chewy has posted a nice recipe somewhere.   

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 09:40 PM »
So, it's basically pile everything into a pan and cook until the meat is tender.  Where's the fun in that?

The fun's in the eating of course!  :D

It works so why not?

©2024 Curry Recipes