Author Topic: JB's base and Chewys madras  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: JB's base and Chewys madras
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 08:31 PM »
What is it about the base that impresses compared to all that you've done before?

When cooked correctly it has that extra something that takes it above other bases and it smells and tastes exactly like the Restaurant bases I have ordered  ;)

Define cooked correctly?

Cooked as it says in the recipe SS, the important points from jb's post-

"The chef impressed the point that the onions MUST be cooked until they've virtually melted...that's the key to it's success."

"take another pan,add a chef's spoon of oil and add a very finely chopped garlic clove and brown it.Tip this into the gravy(rinse the garlic pan out with a spoon of gravy).This seemed to give the gravy a fantastic smokey like flavour"

""As regards to rinsing the garlic pan,I think it may have some importance.The pan was still quite hot when the contents were originally tipped out and when he rinsed the pan there was an almighty sizzle and he immeditely put this back in the curry pan."

"The most important thing is to cook the onions fully and then re boil the base after the garlic is added."

"Apart from the garlic tarka and onion cooking time,the Manager told me it's SO important than the base is re-cooked for some time after it's been originally blended /thinned and the garlic added.He said the base couldn't be used if this wasn't done,it wouldn't taste right."

littlechilie

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Very well put Andy, these are some very important steps in making this base a success.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 01:39 PM »
Yep- the recipe is really very clear. Cheers!

©2024 Curry Recipes