Author Topic: Old user who never used his account  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Raido

• Chef
    • View Profile
Old user who never used his account
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Hi guys,

I appear to have been registered on here for ages, didn't even realise I had an account, must have registered for it years ago.

Anyway, I've been trying to live really frugally lately and save loads of money, so what better way than to cook up some nice cheap curries. I imagine though the more I get into it the more expensive it's going to get! So not sure if posting here is a good idea lol.

I don't eat a lot of meat so will mainly be making veggy/bean/lentil curries. Incidentally, do you know where I could get hold of beans/lentils online in bulk quite cheaply? I still haven't got round to looking in the asian shops round here but I don't drive and it's quite trek to them so would rather avoid it and buy loads online.

Cheers

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Old user who never used his account
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Radio

Big welcome. Am sure you won't regret.

It's crucial now and then to get that little extra help.

The value of money I can relate to. 

Both pizza and curry TA outlets are not in abundance because people lime them - it's the margins that make them interesting. In short you don't need to spend to make delicious curry at home.

Leaving meat out is a thing I like  too - it's only then that you can really judge the sauce.

Never got going on the veg side but wish you every success.

Best wishes

Jerry

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:07 PM »
Hi and welcome Rad...

I'm also a bargain hunter, cheap date, like good economy etc.

Where abouts are you in the uk or world ?

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Hi Radio nice to hear from you and welcome, you are never going to beat the Asian shops for price on lentils and beans. So might be worth getting someone to go for you, if you can't get there yourself as they always have large bags.
Good luck.

Offline Raido

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:37 AM »
Already have a few ingredients but here's what I got this evening.

Includes ?1.20 for 400g of chilli powder and also ?1.50 for 2kg of split peas.

Doesn't come to much more than about ?18 overall.

littlechilie

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:52 AM »
Well stocked up I see, great deal there. ;D time to make a big Batch of Tarka Dal with those red split lentils .
I always have this in my freezer.

Offline Raido

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Hi and welcome Rad...

I'm also a bargain hunter, cheap date, like good economy etc.

Where abouts are you in the uk or world ?

I live in Southampton, England. :)

Tarka Dal looks lovely, only trouble is I don't have any turmeric. Need to stock up on that and a couple of other spices still.

All I have at the mo is garam masla, ground coriander, ground cumin, cumin seeds, red chilli powder fenugreek seeds and brown mustard seeds although I do also have a couple of curry mixtures - 400g of hot madras and a little bit of mild.  I'm not sure how to use them in recipes as they're a bit of a mix of everything.

Not to mention loads of ginger garlic paste.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 10:20 AM »
you are never going to beat the Asian shops for price on lentils and beans.

I disagree. Asda are normally cheaper on like-for-like items. I went into a Morrisons yesterday and they had special offers on a few items which made them even cheaper. I use Asian shops only for certain items, not stocked by the large supermarkets.

Raido - there's at least one large Asda store in the Southampton area, which I have visited and probably bought spices from.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 11:43 AM »
W. Esplanade

Offline Raido

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Yeah Asda can be cheap, also has the benefit of a home delivery service. :) I think they're cheap for spices but the asian shops tend to beat them on beans and lentils.

I'm quite surprised how the largest bag size tends to be 2kg. I've only found one 5kg sack of beans so far, in international foods on St Mary's road right at the back of the shop although at ?7.50 for 5kg I didn't think the price was that great.

I also find the hygiene in that shop a bit questionable, the others tend to be much better managed like the asian shop across the road from it and also the International Foods in Portswood although both are more expensive. The range in International Foods in Portswood is very good though.

Banga stores on Derby Road is pretty good too.

My trip to the asian shops was on a bicycle too :). Cycled back to Bitterne with about 14kg on my back lol.

©2024 Curry Recipes