Author Topic: Coriander ! If you can't grow it ! Preserve it  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Davegrc

• Chef
    • View Profile
Coriander ! If you can't grow it ! Preserve it
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:03 AM »
I am all for growing what I can ! Actually when you live away from modern cities it's a matter of having to some times !

For me t was that the local markets did not always have it when I needed it so I had to start learning how to buy plenty when it was fresh and preserve it in a manor that was except able n flavor and aesthetics ! Freezing it is just don't go there !

So far my best solution has been ferment it in a probiotic brine ! Simple ! I wash it and pack it in a sterilized jar and cover it in salty water ! Leave it a couple of days out of the ref so the natural fermentation get under way ! Then put it in the ref it will stay full flavor and green for weeks ! Not to mention healthy natural way to preserve !

Love t hear any other methods keeping  coriander ready for the kitchen  !

This serves both for those who manage to grow more than thy can use ! And those who simply get fed up searching the supermarket for a condiment that curries simply can not substitute !

Dave

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Coriander ! If you can't grow it ! Preserve it
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Hi Dave and Welcome
I have fresh on tap, I just have to walk a few hundred yards from my kitchen to a Souk,
50p a bunch, sometimes like at the moment 3 bunches for a Quid.

But if I want to store a bunch, I wash and dry, wrap in kitchen paper then put into
an airtight container, keeps fresh in the fridge for a couple of weeks at least.

cheers Chewy

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:42 PM »
Yep much better idea than all that Blumentalism :)

Offline SevenAjex

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Is a wonderful introduction

littlechilie

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Hi Dave and Welcome
I have fresh on tap, I just have to walk a few hundred yards from my kitchen to a Souk,
50p a bunch, sometimes like at the moment 3 bunches for a Quid.

But if I want to store a bunch, I wash and dry, wrap in kitchen paper then put into
an airtight container, keeps fresh in the fridge for a couple of weeks at least.

cheers Chewy

Yep fresh is the best ;) but the method Chewy describes above works for me.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 07:34 PM »
The supermarket variety that comes ready planted in a little flower pot did not seem to keep too well until I thought to put the whole thing in the refrigerator -- after that, no problem at all :  seems to stay fresh and green (and not bolt) virtually for ever.

** Phil.

littlechilie

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Phil if I buy them pots I never have any left to place in the fridge ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 08:13 AM »
The supermarket variety that comes ready planted in a little flower pot did not seem to keep too well until I thought to put the whole thing in the refrigerator -- after that, no problem at all :  seems to stay fresh and green (and not bolt) virtually for ever.

This was posted on 16th May, at which point the coriander was already two weeks old; it is now 13th June (almost a month later), and the coriander is still as fresh, green and unwilted as it was one day one.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes