Author Topic: Curry Pastes ( Pataks style )  (Read 27124 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Pastes ( Pataks style )
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Anyway, back on topic, The large Madras paste may be (and I say may be as I don't have one to hand) the same as the large Madras Kebab paste which is different from the small jar.  Its been covered on here before.

I thought that the kebab paste didn't exist in a small version.
** Phil.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2015, 10:11 PM »
I think it does exist it's called madras kebab but could be wrong.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2015, 10:11 PM »

I thought that the kebab paste didn't exist in a small version.
** Phil.

It doesn't Phil and I wasn't quite clear. A lot of people assume they are the same paste. I was comparing the large Knorr madras to the large Madras Kebab.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2015, 10:25 PM »
It doesn't Phil and I wasn't quite clear. A lot of people assume they are the same paste. I was comparing the large Knorr madras to the large Madras Kebab.

Ah, all is now clear.  I don't have any Madras paste per se (either Knorr or Pataks) but I do have the large Madras Kebab paste, so if I come across a small Madras paste I will buy and compare.

** Phil.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2015, 10:26 PM »
I've tried most of them I ended up buying the large jars a few years ago but this was a mistake I've
Had to bin them out of date! I do have a large of Kashmiri still in date and a recently bought the knorr
It a 1.1kg jar so I have a better chance of using it up.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2015, 10:28 PM »
I can put my pruning shears away then as we seemed to have returned to the subject in hand, about which many members have differing opinions, to which they are all entitled, and which they may if they wish justify. 
And for the record, prevocative posts have no place here when their sole intention is to cause trouble.  The topic of pastes has always encouraged views from the different camps, which is good and promotes healthy debate.  But sadly in  this instance one unnecessary comment has generated 2 pages of off-topic sniping which has nothing to do with curry pastes.
Personally, I will continue to use them for specific things if there is no suitable alternative that will deliver the desired results.  They are very much a feature in today's BIR kitchens, for better or for worse.  Ultimately, it is the chef's choice, and some are more discerning and skilled than others.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2015, 11:17 PM »
I am familiar with the "usual" Pataks aftertaste that has been mentioned, but I can also say that I've only experienced this with the small home use jars purchased from the Supermarkets. The large commercial jar of Mild Curry Paste (Knorr / Pataks) does not have this undesirable quality at all.  I agree with Bob's concise method involving leaving the finished curry for a day to fully develop flavour. Always better the second day.

As for keeping it over time, it says on the label to "not refrigerate" and to "use within 6 months of opening".  I'll have to go and check mine since I've had it longer than that, but I'm pretty confident it will still be fine.  Plenty of food lasts well past the UBD or BBD.  Take yogurt for example.

littlechilie

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2015, 11:29 PM »
Patakas small Madras paste, in my opinion is for the home cook, the cook without knowledge of BIR cooking! Yes the large 2.3kg kebab tubs can and will be used in a commercial setting for marinades and such, but it's not used to make Madras BIR curry that I know.

Thanks.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2015, 12:09 AM »
Ultimately, it is the chef's choice, and some are more discerning and skilled than others.

I'm pleased we might be in agreement for once!

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2015, 12:23 AM »
I've tried most of them I ended up buying the large jars a few years ago but this was a mistake I've
Had to bin them out of date! I do have a large of Kashmiri still in date and a recently bought the knorr
It a 1.1kg jar so I have a better chance of using it up.

I have been using the same large Kashmiri here for almost 8 YEARS unrefridgerated, when it starts to dry up a little add oil to it, no problems or issues whatsoever.

do not bin it, ignore the use by date stamp as must have it by law, natural spices are natural preservatives including the oil.

It will last forever!

©2024 Curry Recipes