Author Topic: Chapati v Naans  (Read 15013 times)

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chapati v Naans
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Was brought up on restaurant curry with 3 chapati's, no cutlery, no rice, no naan. Maybe I'm biased then, but you just can't beat a curry with fresh chapati. That said, most restaurants have no idea how to make chapati, it's often not even on the menu, so it's normally naan when eating out these days.

In recent times I've cracked both chapati's (rack, direct over heat) and naan (happy chris's). Chapati's are certainly a lot easier and just as enjoyable as naan, but it's nice to mix and match.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Hope someone reads this and helps me out.

I watched H4ppy Chris's videos on Naan and he cooked on a Tawa that he said "was just a steel one".  He used water on the bread to make it stick to the tawa so he could invert it and cook the topside directly over the gas burner.  All I can find are either cast iron (which will be great but heavy to use) or all sorts of tawa with double anodising or other "non stick" surface.

Is he using a plain steel pan or non stick?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 12:27 AM »
This question already answered. Ignore.

Bobdylan

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Hope someone reads this and helps me out.

I watched H4ppy Chris's videos on Naan and he cooked on a Tawa that he said "was just a steel one".  He used water on the bread to make it stick to the tawa so he could invert it and cook the topside directly over the gas burner.  All I can find are either cast iron (which will be great but heavy to use) or all sorts of tawa with double anodising or other "non stick" surface.

Is he using a plain steel pan or non stick?

Take a nonstick Tawa as these are fair priced,this is also what HC describes he used. But personally I sand and remove the nonstick coating and then seasoned at a very high temperature.

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 07:12 AM »
I love a peshwari naan with my chicken ginger/garlic balti, packed with sultanas, crispy round the edges and softer inside, I start at the outside and go round and round, pulling off pieces to mop up my balti and eventually come to the thicker middle part which I leave. I've had some very wierd concoctions when asking for peshwawi naans, some just covered with syrup ugh! others with desiccated coconut in ugh too, some really sweetened ones, some with cashew nuts (in India) nice., they're like having your pudding with your dinner!

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 10:27 AM »
they're like having your pudding with your dinner!

I was doing this as a teenager without realising its common in certain parts of the world.
I would buy some dal or chana, a dal puri and a couple of ladoo's and eat them all together.  :D
Delicious!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Think of the North Americans, who eat pancakes and maple syrup with their eggs and bacon !  Mind you, you have only to look at the average North American BMI to see where that leads ...

Bobdylan

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Two weeks of eating fresh Naan daily has been fantastic, I quarter it up and pop them in my duolit for for warming up.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 06:52 PM »
"Duolit" as in toaster, or as in one of their other products ?
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 08:01 PM »
....pop them in my duolit for for warming up.

Must be a counterfeit knock-off of the "Dualit".  ;D  If you're going to attempt brand snobbery at least spell the brand correctly.   ::) Seriously though, I prefer to re-warm naan in the MW. They don't dry out as much.

©2024 Curry Recipes