Author Topic: Sizzling Chicken Tawa Recipe  (Read 7728 times)

Offline tikkatom

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Sizzling Chicken Tawa Recipe
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Hi all,

One of my favorite curries is a "Sizzling Chicken Tawa" which I've only ever seen in one restaurant.  I can only describe it as a very tomatoey Madras with an aniseed tang.  Is this a well known curry or specific to my local BIR?  Its described as "A combination of aromatic herbs & spices cooked with onions, tomatoes and fresh coriander served on a sizzling iron griddle (tawa) to give its own distinctive flavour"  Any ideas how I would recreate something like this?  :)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Sizzling Chicken Tawa Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Two of my local restaurants offer a tawa on their menu.Although they do them differently,they're both listed as 'spicy curries cooked with whole spices and serves sizzling on a tawa'.I'm afraid I don't have a recipe,although it's a dish I would like to be able to replicate.There's a a couple of tawa recipes on Youtube and other sites,but none are really BIR I'm afraid.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Probably just a normal curry placed onto a heated iron griddle for effect bringing it to the table?

My darling wife loves the Sizzling Garlic Chicken served in the same way from our local Chinese restaurant.

Why not try madrasandy's madras, cook it out a little so it's Danny Dyer, then serve on a sizzling plate which can be purchased on many sites :)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Hi
Try watching "How to make Tawa Chicken" posted by Nabia Aman on YouTube. Indian house wives recipe so no holding your hand in the cooking process. In the usual way she speaks in several languages all at once but with a few listens you can catch the spice amounts. The rest is down to observation and careful listening. This should give you a good start.
Regards

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Great idea Garp  ;)

Offline tikkatom

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Ive just checked the YouTube videos and they look nothing like what I've had in my local, so I guess its a made up curry!  I'll try the madras recipe and customize it a little :)

I'm hosting a curry night this Saturday, going to do a Ceylon, Bhuna and CTM so might not get a chance to try this Tawa for another week  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Sounds top notch BIR

Is it just the chicken on the iron and the curry served in dish.

For my own benefit is the iron griddle called a tarva. My tava is steel which I use for naan and can't see it working like cast iron.

I believe the cast iron ingredients are pre fried and lemon juice sprinkled onto them once on the pre heated iron.

Spectacular dish

littlechilie

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:51 PM »
Probably just a normal curry placed onto a heated iron griddle for effect bringing it to the table?

My darling wife loves the Sizzling Garlic Chicken served in the same way from our local Chinese restaurant.

Why not try madrasandy's madras, cook it out a little so it's Danny Dyer, then serve on a sizzling plate which can be purchased on many sites :)

Don't forget to add your fennel seed to the dish suggested above for your aniseed twang. :)

Offline tikkatom

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Don't forget to add your fennel seed to the dish suggested above for your aniseed twang. :)

Thanks for the tip! Never used fennel seeds, would I fry them whole in oil at the start?  How much would I need roughly for a 2 person curry?

Offline tikkatom

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Sounds top notch BIR
Is it just the chicken on the iron and the curry served in dish.
The way my local does it, its a thin curry sauce, chicken and fried peppers/onions/tomatoes all served on the sizzling tawa.  The tawa is quite deep almost like a wok to keep it all on.

©2024 Curry Recipes