Author Topic: Mustard Oil  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Mustard Oil
« on: August 24, 2014, 10:52 PM »
I would like to get hold of some Mustard Oil.  Does anybod here know of where I can get hold of some?  I found some on ebay but it stated that it was for external use only.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Mustard Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:07 PM »
As far as I know, almost all [1] mustard oil sold in the U.K. is labelled "For external use only".  That has not stopped me (and, I suspect, quite a few others) from using it for cooking.

** Phil.
--------
[1] With the exception of Uncle Roy's.

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Thanks.

I'm hoping to make some Pachranga Achaar which is a kind of chutney.  Anybody else made it?

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Morning Ader1 yep Phil has answered your question spot on! I believe some sainsburys sell the oil or any Asian store!

But it will not add magic to your cooking, it dose give a little something extra to a dish when used kind of like using a good garlic or chilli oil.

Kind Regards.

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:06 AM »
I would like to get hold of some Mustard Oil.  Does anybod here know of where I can get hold of some?  I found some on ebay but it stated that it was for external use only.

Pure mustard oil sold in this country will be labelled "for external use only" due to some EU directive or other. If you choose to disregard this and use it anyway, make sure you heat it to smoking point and allow to cool before using.

KTC make edible blended mustard oil which is a mix of mustard oil and veg oil. It's what most restaurants and takeaways use if they're using mustard oil.  This can be found wherever KTC products are sold, such as asian grocers, etc.

Even Asda sell it:
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/910001455818

Offline greencoburn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:43 AM »
I bought some "for external use" this week for the first time. No reactions and I feel safe.

check out this:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/dining/american-chefs-discover-mustard-oil.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1409874112-WQ1fsCuOYJ9xtPQ2dx+ATQ

©2024 Curry Recipes