Author Topic: Favourite kitchen gadget?  (Read 22620 times)

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Favourite kitchen gadget?
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:36 PM »
Never been a big lover of gadgets and gizmos in the kitchen, and prefer to get by on a good set of knives and pans for most tasks. However I've acquired a small collection over the years, mainly gifts from friends and relatives who know I cook, and think my life is somehow incomplete without a cherry stoner or a sushi mat. That said, many are undoubtedly useful and i've got a lot of time for my potato ricer, microplane grater, and most recently a salad spinner and use them all regularly.

Anyone else have a favourite gadget in the kitchen they wouldn't be without?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite kitchen gadget?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:38 PM »
My Kenwood Major; life without it would just not be worth living.  Second place goes to my lassi maker, and 3rd place to my AnySharp.

** Phil.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:49 PM »
Good choice, those Kenwoods are built to last.

Meant to include the mini chopper that clips on my stick blender, love that to bits. Oh and my James martin spice grinder, even if it is a bitch to clean.

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Favourite gadget is my bamix hand held blender, it was a gift from the wife and the best gift ever! Think I use it every day 8)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:28 AM »
My favourite gadget is whoever cleans the kitchen after I've finished cooking!  ;)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:27 AM »
My favourite gadget is whoever cleans the kitchen after I've finished cooking!  ;)

You beat me to it, I was going to say the OH.

London.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Probably one of my 2 rice cookers which working out when I got them are nearly 30 years old (and showing it) but have gave sterling service.

I also like cheap implements that do the job perfectly so my curry pan, my 1 euro veg peeler or stove top espresso (the original aluminium type) could also be one of the favourites.

List could change tomorrow.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 11:12 AM »
or stove top espresso (the original aluminium type) ...

Would that last be a Moka Express ?  I used one of those in my youth, but could never keep it clean, so abandoned it, went with a Cona (all glass, so simple to keep clean), then had to abandon that when the Cona 500W coil heater started tripping the RCD (no longer made, so v. expensive to replace) and now use a ceramic cone with bulk-purchase filter papers for daily filter coffee, a Krups Espresso for espresso, and a Armenian Ibrik/Brikki for Greek/Turkish.

** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Anyone else have a favourite gadget in the kitchen they wouldn't be without?

Favourite kitchen gadgets include pestle and mortar, liquidiser, hand blender, burr grinder and potato ricer. But love my electric chapati maker and also one of these little things which I've had for almost 30 years. a porcelain ginger grater.  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 11:36 AM »
love my electric chapati maker and also... a porcelain ginger grater

Tell me more about your electric chapati maker, Frank; sounds interesting.  And does the fact that your ginger grater is porcelain mean that it is more likely to grate ginger, and less likely to grate finger tips, than its modern stainless steel equivalent ?

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes