Author Topic: Favourite kitchen gadget?  (Read 22608 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite kitchen gadget?
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 07:01 AM »
Thats the trouble with most people on here, stuck in a time warp. 70's curries, Le Cruset = cast iron stone age pans sand casted by cavemen, etc etc ::)

'These shallow frying pans are crafted from high-quality hard anodised forged aluminium, and toughened inside and out with a superior non-stick coating. They also feature hollow, cast stainless steel handles which stay cooler when the pan is on the hob. '

Even wor lass can quite easily swing the big one at my head faster than one of Roger Federers' serves.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 08:35 AM »
my genuine "bought from a takeaway" curry pan
I cook all my curries in it

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Im on the look out for a new pan, any recommendations anyone?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Very nice top notch pan that Haldi - well chuffed for you

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Hi
MA. I don't know where you live maybe I'm just lucky living in Noth Staffs. Just go to your local Asian whole salers or grocers or even the hard ware shop and you will be falling over the damned things.
Regards

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Hi commis ,I live in Hull, I have tried , they used to sell them years ago but unfortunately they no longer do, but there are other shops to try, was wondering if there were any online recommended to buy from?

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2014, 12:12 PM »

I use a Circulon wok for all my curries and pretty happy with it until I saw Atul Kotchar cooking with a neat little pan on telly the other day. Looked perfect for BIR cooking so think i've tracked it down and plan on getting one..

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Vogue-Stainless-Steel-Saute-Pan-240mm/M923/ProductDetail.raction

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:22 PM by RobinB »

Offline Dekie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2014, 01:53 PM »
One of my favourite gadgets is a plastic add on to the hand blender for making mashed potato. No lumps and the mash comes out like worms.

I like the look of the pan above, I might get one of these ordered.

One last gadget I bought last week was something called an Aeropress for making ridiculously good coffee.

Deks :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 02:20 PM »

I use a Circulon wok for all my curries and pretty happy with it until I saw Atul Kotchar cooking with a neat little pan on telly the other day. Looked perfect for BIR cooking so think i've tracked it down and plan on getting one..

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Vogue-Stainless-Steel-Saute-Pan-240mm/M923/ProductDetail.raction

Nice shape and almost identical to one I previously linked to. I'd rather have it in black iron than stainless though.

Just came across this on the Tesco website. Also on Amazon and Ebay for roughly the same price.
Not aluminium (Black iron) and a bit expensive but a great shape.  :)

De Buyer Mineral B Country Frying pan - 24cm dia,  8cm deep

p.s. Looks like the same shape as the one in H4ppyChris' first video of the takeaway he posted when everyone got exited and wanted a deep pan, and it turned out to be a normal sized pan with the wrong video compression.  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 02:30 PM »
OK, so perhaps I'm more risk-averse than most, but for the life of me I cannot understand why (a) manufacturers manufacture, and (b) customers buy, pans with metal handles.  I would never in a million years risk using such a thing -- all of my pans have insulated handles (either wood or thermo-setting plastic), and when shopping for a replacement I wouldn't give a second glance to a pan with a metal handle.  I'd be interested to know what fraction of respondents agree with this, and what fraction are perfectly happy to use a pan with a metal handle and perhaps even prefer such things.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes