Author Topic: Favourite kitchen gadget?  (Read 22868 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite kitchen gadget?
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 02:36 PM »
I've used scores of pans with metal handles and never burnt my hand yet. To be honest after reading your post I had to mentally think what pans i had that had bare or insulated handles.

Offline Dekie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2014, 02:37 PM »
OK, so perhaps I'm more risk-averse than most, but for the life of me I cannot understand why (a) manufacturers manufacture, and (b) customers buy, pans with metal handles.  I would never in a million years risk using such a thing -- all of my pans have insulated handles (either wood or thermo-setting plastic), and when shopping for a replacement I wouldn't give a second glance to a pan with a metal handle.  I'd be interested to know what fraction of respondents agree with this, and what fraction are perfectly happy to use a pan with a metal handle and perhaps even prefer such things.

** Phil.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a stove crock pot and lid which has metal lifting handles. When even doing basic stirring I have to use a dishcloth to hold one the pot handles or suffer second degree burns!

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2014, 02:53 PM »
One of my favourite gadgets is a plastic add on to the hand blender for making mashed potato. No lumps and the mash comes out like worms.

Is that the Kenwood hand blender attachment Dekie?

Offline Dekie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2014, 03:21 PM »
One of my favourite gadgets is a plastic add on to the hand blender for making mashed potato. No lumps and the mash comes out like worms.

Is that the Kenwood hand blender attachment Dekie?

Hi Gav,

Yes that's the one :). Its all plastic with a plastic blade which pulls the potato through a multitude of holes. It is def my favourite gadget. With being single I make a bit pot (full bag of potatoes) and freeze in portions.

I'm not sure how to embed pics but I've pasted a link to a pic below. Its the attachment in the top right corner

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFGMm4KC-YDloO0VWccEoxlL7JXkkuofGJx9CDe6y4eJil3GC4hw

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 03:30 PM »
I'll have to get one. I've just purchased a triblade although the next model up which doesn't come with the masher. We had your model at work with just the blades and it was great and so far has stood up to 2 years of everyday use.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53 PM »
OK, so perhaps I'm more risk-averse than most, but for the life of me I cannot understand why (a) manufacturers manufacture, and (b) customers buy, pans with metal handles.  I would never in a million years risk using such a thing -- all of my pans have insulated handles (either wood or thermo-setting plastic), and when shopping for a replacement I wouldn't give a second glance to a pan with a metal handle.  I'd be interested to know what fraction of respondents agree with this, and what fraction are perfectly happy to use a pan with a metal handle and perhaps even prefer such things.

** Phil.

They tend to be favoured in professional kitchens as you can start off a dish on a burner or solid top and throw the whole thing in the oven to finish it off. You can also buy silicon sleeves to slide over the handles.

I can remember on a least one occasion in a pro kitchen I grabbed one by the handle after taking it out the oven. It's easily done as the handle tricks your brain i think.

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2014, 04:18 PM »
I have plenty of saucepans and frying pans with metal handles and don't understand at all the objection to them. The handles barely become warm to the touch in normal use, as they are joined and made in such a way that there is low thermal conductivity from the base of the pan to the handle. It's really not a problem. Meanwhile the durability and easy of maintenance of stainless steel means my pans are unlikely to deteriorate.

A casserole with metal handles is another matter however, as it's quite easy to forget you've just taken it out of the oven and grab the handle to give the contents a stir. Don't ask me how I know.....

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Wouldn

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2014, 06:58 PM »

Morphy Richards 48822 Soup/Garabi Maker - (very good, No Brainer for small amounts)

Yep agree with that. Soups good as well.

littlechilie

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2014, 07:03 PM »
I use my bamix grinding attachment so much, it's a very efficient tool.

©2024 Curry Recipes