Author Topic: School dinners  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: School dinners
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Nothing wrong with my curries.

I haven't killed anyone.......yet  >:(

littlechilie

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Dry macaroni cheese and semolina :-\

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 10:42 PM »
I have many memories of school dinners, starting with the 1/2 mile walk to and from the dinner hall that was shared by another school in the village (Haddenham). We'd walk in and were served from pop up tables, all sorts of typically awful food, then took our seats on the right, as the left was for the other school. We had no rights other than to eat our plates clean regardless of the fact, a hard awfully grey lump of liver was poised on a plate with something that represents gravy with an overly salty 'stick your mouth together' ice cream scoop of so called mash potato. Then there was the so called pudding, usually a dry sponge served with a custard that was so watery it defied the term custard, never mind it's colour. Oh and the scratched alluminium jugs either plain or gold , that served awful tasting water.

That said, there is one recipe I enjoyed which was a a kind of deep fried cheese ball (I posted on this before) . I have never found it out how to make it or what it was called but it was, at the age of 6-7, very nice indeed. In my teens, the school I attended had starting serving alternatives, so I often opted for the fruity curry option etc. With break times filling me with odd looking finger donuts, cream and jam.

College years were simple, chips and beans! :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:04 PM »
Kids who's parent/s received benefits, seated last & the caramel cake, which I still like today. At the very least the food was cooked fresh, then delivered due to lack of  space & there wasn't a strategically located brand name in sight  :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes