Author Topic: BIR cooking method  (Read 23230 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: BIR cooking method
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Some BIR are using the ' all in the base ' method which is basically a completed curry sauce and only chili and the odd whole spice used in the final curry, my local t/a use this method.

1 ladle of base into heated pan , no additional oil to start the curry.
Cook the ladle of base down frying out all the water.
Add another ladle of base on medium heat , add chili powder , star anise , black cardamom .
Add meat and more base turn up heat simmer for approx 2 mins .
Add a good sprinkle of fresh coriander .
Done .

I did ask about the not using of powdered spices in the finished curry and the chef said " everything in the gravy "  ???

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 06:10 AM »
@emin-j how do they successfully differentiate their dishes sufficient to create a full menu of different offerings?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 09:20 AM »
Some BIR are using the ' all in the base ' method which is basically a completed curry sauce and only chili and the odd whole spice used in the final curry, my local t/a use this method.

1 ladle of base into heated pan , no additional oil to start the curry.
Cook the ladle of base down frying out all the water.
Add another ladle of base on medium heat , add chili powder , star anise , black cardamom .
Add meat and more base turn up heat simmer for approx 2 mins .
Add a good sprinkle of fresh coriander .
Done .

I did ask about the not using of powdered spices in the finished curry and the chef said " everything in the gravy "  ???

There's no question about this at all emin-j, one of my locals does it. If you discount methi as a powder I don't use them in the final dish either.
I'd use chilli powder is a dish if I had no fresh puree, but that's about it.

I've heard of no garlic/ginger in a base, only at dish stage

Differing amounts of Garlic or G&G, tomato pure,e gravy, ingredients & cooking methods will make the dishes completely different.

ELW
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:58 AM by ELW »

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 09:42 AM »

No wonder  qualities are on a down hill slide,less skills =less wages to pay out
 What will happen when the good chefs expire ?
Will the day arrive when tankers deliver bulk curry to Birs   ;D

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 09:49 AM »
No wonder  qualities are on a down hill slide,less skills =less wages to pay out
 What will happen when the good chefs expire ?
Will the day arrive when tankers deliver bulk curry to Birs   ;D

Someone probably made that same statement when they saw onion base gravy  used in every curry produced......a very along time ago now  ::)
I think  my local has something like a 60ltr tanker/stock pot

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12 AM »
I think you are right as my curries seem to be ruined by an over powering flavour coming from the veg and onions rather than the lack of a particular ingredient. What am I not doing right? I have cooked the veg and onions for various different lengths and have used pressure cookers etc but the taste doesn't seem to change.

Its probably the reason people have no trouble making kormas, tikka masalas, chasni's, as those creamy ingredients added normally overpower the gravy, which makes the dish what it is.
The more savoury dish ingredients less so. The flavour of the gravy here is crucial.
I've just made a batch of jb's gravy, which tastes very good. I've not cooked with it yet, but i'm certain it'll produce some excellent dishes.
 Its not that far away from a finished curry sauce. A touch of GG, methi/tomato puree/salt if necessary & you'll have a good basic curry sauce. I'll try cooking a couple of dishes with no mix powder added & see how that ends up

I gave it about 1 hr hard boil, then it started to catch on the bottom, some I turned the heat down for about another 1 hr 20 so I didn't have to hang over it.
I couldn't do a usual smell test as I had added turmeric early on, but the spicing levels are good & its hard to botch this gravy.
I'd recommend you try this gravy next madstwatter

Regards
ELW

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 07:46 PM »
@emin-j how do they successfully differentiate their dishes sufficient to create a full menu of different offerings?

I've seen pouring cream from a carton going into the frying pan probably a korma or ctm mixed with the ' all in one ' gravy but I guess any curry on the menu which comes in a gravy would be the same base, to be fair me and the mrs have madras plus my daughter has a biryani and the curry is not bad at all.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Differing amounts of Garlic or G&G, tomato pure,e gravy, ingredients & cooking methods will make the dishes completely different.

Sorry for my poor memory ELW but I'm assuming from this method that you are a Scot?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 08:25 PM »

Sorry for my poor memory ELW but I'm assuming from this method that you are a Scot?

Yes I am. I'll pre empt you & add, that there's no such thing as a Scottish/Glasgow bir method though. That needs nipped in the bud on this forum.

Edit- with the amount of ta's & restaurants doing this, there's only a small sample of methods available to read and watch. Most are very similar.
Regards
ELW

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 09:13 PM »
 madstwatter, re your question. Follow chewytikka 3 hr base video. That is the gold standard so that you know what a base should taste like (after blending after thinning). Then try out other bases till you find some that hit the bell. Throw the pressure cooker out for curry - it's just a complication you don't need.

Ps post is finally interesting.

"Base" for a while now has been tearing me apart. I know how to make what I call a decent base (say mouchak, saffron there are loads. This is essentially along the lines of what I would call an almost finished curry. I use very little mix (0.5 tsp) to convert. I also keep in mind what I know as BIR which has very little spice and relies on the individual ingredients to add variety. I find it works really well and see no need for improvement.

I then came across the local restaurant base which is so basic you would not believe unless tasted. They then rely on what must be complex paste/sauces/2nd bases to produce each dish.

What it all shows is there is much variation across BIR land.

Its no wonder we struggle to make progress.

©2024 Curry Recipes