Author Topic: BIR cooking method  (Read 22998 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: BIR cooking method
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Well said NO.

But perhaps you should have made it clear that it wasn't your own work in order to not give those who think they are superior the opportunity to criticise :)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Well said NO.

But perhaps you should have made it clear that it wasn't your own work in order to not give those who think they are superior the opportunity to criticise :)

Didnt know CA was still on here  ;)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Well said NO.

If those who criticise understood the psychology of" why" they must criticise perhaps they would not criticise at every chance .It really is quite infantile

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Has anyone got examples of where they use these 2 methods successfully.

I know the tarka for adding garlic taste. I guess the Bhuna i use for bunjarra. Some base (KD1 being earliest example) use it. I've also for balti tried frying crushed seed.

After that is there anything else. You don't really see much of this going on in a BIR

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Has anyone got examples of where they use these 2 methods successfully.

I know the tarka for adding garlic taste. I guess the Bhuna i use for bunjarra. Some base (KD1 being earliest example) use it. I've also for balti tried frying crushed seed.

After that is there anything else. You don't really see much of this going on in a BIR

Agreed Jerrym, the bhuna technique especially.
 seems to have crossed from traditional to bir in name only. Tempering is another that I see on in the 'specials'
Regards
Elw

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:51 PM by ELW »

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 05:46 PM »

jermy

When spices chilli mix powder are added they are cooked scraped then base added this method is used in
Birs The Fleet gang spotted it the war cry was "singe singe"the same as posted method
Its a simplified way of explaining what was happening
It goes on but quickly you could try watching in slow motion ;D

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 06:10 PM »

jermy

When spices chilli mix powder are added they are cooked scraped then base added this method is used in
Birs The Fleet gang spotted it the war cry was "singe singe"the same as posted method
Its a simplified way of explaining what was happening
It goes on but quickly you could try watching in slow motion ;D

It doesnt go on at all in some places, the spices are sometimes cooked in the base.
The spices were all cooked the same way in the zaal/fleet visit, regardless of vindaloo/ Madras/ bhuna / roshney.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Well said NO.

Right!

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 02:58 PM »
@ELW

It doesnt go on at all in some places, the spices are sometimes cooked in the base.
The spices were all cooked the same way in the zaal/fleet visit, regardless of vindaloo/ Madras/ bhuna / roshney.

The Zaal use mix powder when making a curry spices ground are in the mix powder the post explains the cooking of them.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29 PM »
My post was aimed at learning something new. I was not wanting to go back to school though.

The only part that caught my eye was the frying of whole spice.

This is something I've briefly tried but feel it's an area I've not exhausted.

Clearly no one else has either. Knowing the theory is all good and well. It's putting it into practice - hence the need for examples.

©2024 Curry Recipes