Author Topic: Members Vindaloo of choice  (Read 5067 times)

littlechilie

Members Vindaloo of choice
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Hi all, I would like to turn my attention to the perfect Vindaloo this week, last week I was able to better my BIR with (CBM Garlic Chili Chicken Dopiaza).

Ok so this week I would like to be as close to BIR with Vindaloo or as close as possible, please could I have members suggestions for members fave Vindaloo recipe.

Is there any tips please on adding any condiment, pastes, chat masala just any tips that could give me a wining dish.

Many thanks in advance. :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Members Vindaloo of choice
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:15 PM »
Littlechilli

Looking forward to members thoughts on this.

For me it's not been cracked.

The nearest I've come across is CA's. It's quite tricky to cook out the graininess of the high powder chilli content. I had to add extra water.

littlechilie

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Have you tried using more oil if high quantity of powder spice is required? This will erase the powdery taste, Just remember to take pan off the heat before adding the spice, or it will burn! Then skim your first ladles from the top of the base with the oil in it, this should sort that out. : ;)

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:13 AM »
It's quite tricky to cook out the graininess of the high powder chilli content. I had to add extra water.

I love Vindaloo, and tried a number of variations over time to improve/perfect it.  I also had this problem, but I finally discovered one critical change that made a massive improvement.

I found that it is critical to use enough just enough regular chili powder (Kashmiri) to get the color/flavor without going overboard to the point where it is grainy.  I then build up the heat to proper levels using a small amount of Bird's Eye Chili powder (Extra Hot - 180,000 HU).  This is unique as it still has the red chili taste, but substantially more heat.  Any other chili powder modifies the overall flavor.  Some Indian stores have "Extra Hot" chili - which is likely this same type or something maybe less potent but still hot.  Don't be fooled into substituting all of it though (at least in the case of Bird's Eye chili), as you'll lose the milder chili flavors critical for the vindaloo.  In this case the Kashmiri is almost like a good Paprika, with a twist.  It contributes a richness to the flavor.

I've also made the Scotch Bonnet paste on YouTube and it does an admirable job of adding heat, but I think the Habanero/Scotch Bonnet flavor changes the resulting curry flavor a bit.  Mind you, I love that flavor - but it doesn't taste the same as many of the restaurants that are definitely not using anything aside from red chili powders.  However, used in place of the Bird's Eye it may be the next best thing to avoiding grainy overload.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:56 AM »
ZAP
As you seem to know the chilli powders
There is a good Cayenne chilli powder By Steenbergs comes from Uganda 130/150 shu,s
one of the best for heat and reliable :D

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:54 AM »
My best result has come from using a mixture of kashmiri chilli power and dried finely chopped birds eye chillies. It delivers the heat without the sauce being grainy. I also like to add a little lemon juice instead of vinegar.

I've been pleased with the result - better than some takeaways that I've had, though missing a smokey kind of flavour that has been in some restaurant vindaloos.

littlechilie

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:17 PM »
For me my taste is lime juice, I also remember early 90s vindaloo sauce always being very smooth! I think @Chewy-Tikka suggests using a food mill, strainer for the sauce.
I like the idea of straining the base for the Vindaloo gravy, I feel this is an authentic part of the dish.

Vinders, the smoky taste is from the high heat output on the burners, when the oil igniting or flaming in the cooking that gives this wonderful smoky flavour.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 08:29 AM »
littlechili,zap,vinders,

have noted those thoughts to put into my no3 vindaloo search. appreciated.

i have used more oil (9 tsp) in past but not when grainy has been a problem (used in search for smokey).

will look out for Birds eye chilli powder (only just bought 100g finger chili's to let them go moldy).

would it be proper lemon juice added or lemon dressing. i've never tried the proper stuff only lemon dressing.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 08:47 AM »
I have been using cayenne chilli powder  along with blended red chillis to great affect in a Vindaloo, also adding a little finely chopped dried kashmiri chilli (re-hydrated) at the start of the dish

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Ah, looks like I'm going to have to invest in a more powerful cooker for the smokey taste...

I've used both lemon juice and lemon dressing. Both work fine, though my personal preference is for lemon juice as I like the fresher taste.

©2024 Curry Recipes