Author Topic: New member!  (Read 6445 times)

Offline RustyShackleford

• Chef
    • View Profile
New member!
« on: September 11, 2014, 04:07 AM »
Grettings fellow curry lovers! I am a new member coming to you from the land of Minnesota, USA.
I've long been looking for recipes to try and create at home those wonderful curry house dishes and I'm glad to have found this forum!
  I suppose I'm not entirely sure what else to say other than I'm thrilled to be here and to start tying recipes!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New member!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:07 AM »
Hi Rusty,
Get your spices ready and start cooking.  This site is a wealth of information.

Offline RustyShackleford

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 06:56 AM »
Thanks! I intend to do just that!!!!

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 06:57 AM »
Welcome fellow Midwesterner!  Not sure how many others there are from the states here, I'm in Wisconsin myself.

There is a wealth of information, for sure.  There are differences in some of the recipes/techniques from what is common here in the USA, but a lot of the information is definitely similar to what restaurants do here as well.  Some dishes common here aren't common in BIR, and BIR has some that I've never seen on menus here (but have been delicious regardless).

Lots to read, lots to explore.  If you've got any questions regarding recreating US-specific dishes, feel free to drop me a line.  I've managed to create/improvise recipes for some of the dishes I haven't found recipes for elsewhere.

littlechilie

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:13 AM »
Welcome :)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Hi!

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Hi and welcome

best, Rich

Offline RustyShackleford

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Thanks everyone!
My favorite indian restaurant is:
http://www.chapati.us

I guess it was staryed by some British folks who moved to minnesota.
It makes me wonder if they have modeled their menu on the BIR?

Lately I have been going gaga over their chicken methi, and they have a bread called onion culcha that is like a little bit of heaven.
   I don't know that I need to recreate their dishes exactly but just making things that are equally delicious would be a wonderful feat!

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 04:14 PM »
That menu looks BIR in nature - much more so than any restaurant I've been to across a number of states!  You should be in luck, as I think you'll be able to get a close match to many of the recipes here without too much struggle.

There are a few things I'm surprised at, considering that.  One includes the lack on an Onion Bhaji on the appetizer list.  We don't see those here very often... but they're present in (most? all?) BIRs.  I've actually never had one, yet, but plan to make some one of these days as I love onions and there are some delicious looking recipes. 

If you enjoy Samosas, curryhell has posted a great thread that I use to make my own now!

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 04:23 PM »

I guess it was staryed by some British folks who moved to minnesota.
It makes me wonder if they have modeled their menu on the BIR?

Yeah: 'Norman Butler and Diane Burry, relocated to Northfield from the UK' and the CTM is called 'Britain's favourite'! Like the building too- like having a curry in George Washington's house?!?!

Cheers!

©2024 Curry Recipes