Author Topic: Mix powder why ?  (Read 12574 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mix powder why ?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 06:47 PM »
I was talking about the home enthusiast making one portion meals, which as I'm led to believe is what 'most' BIRs do.

I have no knowledge of what BIR chefs do, as I've never been in a kitchen, my only info comes from the net.

I was asking you a question, which genuinly has interested me since I start cooking BIR style, so if you could just answer the question with your thoughts I'd be delighted.

I've often thought about making a basic curry just using coriander or just cumin or 50/50 and so on just to see how the finished result differs.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I've often thought about making a basic curry just using coriander or just cumin or 50/50 and so on just to see how the finished result differs.

I think that that is one of the most useful experiments that an aspiring BIR chef could carry out.  Although I would start with just turmeric, rather than just coriander.

** Phil.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 06:55 PM »
True, also doing standard recipes without Tumeric give interesting results too.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Fried
Most Birs make portions as and when needed,Check out
Als kitchen on you tube and watch his and the use of spices in the vindaloo I don't know how to do the links
I could not make a curry with 1 teaspoon of spices
Check out some videos of currys being cooked

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Yes but in individual portions, regardless of other spices like chilli, the mix powder is rarely (if ever- can't think of one on this forum?) more than a tablespoon, which would still be small amounts of eight (say) different spices :)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Again I'm going to ask, what your thoughts are on the subject?

I thought you wanted to talk about mix powder, How much spice do you put in a single portion? Not including chilli powder.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Fried
For example in a vindaloo 1 1/2 teaspoons Garam masala 1 teaspoon Methi 1/2 teaspoon turmeric 2 teaspoon coriander powder 1 teaspoon cumin
This is not a full recipe but an example of the spices I would use

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 07:54 PM »
So, wouldn't it be easier to make a mix powder in those proportions, if you worked in a takeaway, rather than having to add lots of different spices.

What I find interesting is how high your proportion of GM is in comparison with most recipes I've ever seen ( this is not a criticism by the way, I love the 'traditional' aromatic taste and do the same), and if 'good' restaurants use different mix powders depending on the recipes they're cooking.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 09:09 PM »

Fried
That's a good idea  277 tins of mix powderin a Bir

I like gm in vindaloo but its not a gm most would use only 4 spices in it for Vindaloo 4 me

This is an example of using different spices rather than the hundreds of mix powders- that- everyone- must -have- to- be -in- the- in -gang

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 09:25 PM »
I use generally 1 part cumin, 1 part coriander, 1 part fenugreek, 1/2 part GM in most curries (red ones mostly)

©2024 Curry Recipes