Author Topic: An "emergency" curry  (Read 1324 times)

Offline leodis1970

• Chef
    • View Profile
An "emergency" curry
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:46 AM »
All us curry fiends have those moments where nothing but a curry will do, however despite spices, garlic, chilli, onions etc not being a problem, the actual meat or veg is.

That happened to me last night - don't get paid until tomorrow. No meat, no veg, annoyingly a tin of chickpeas and another of kidney beans, but bloody tin opener broke!

Looked at the back of the cupboard and found a tin of corned beef. Thought "nooooooooo", then thought "actually, let's try".

Made a "random" curry, a sort of hybrid madras style thing using the corned beef with surprisingly edible results!

Texture wise, a bit like miced beef, but finer (but not too "sloppy" which I thought it might be), and flavour wise, in amongst all the curry flavours it was impossible to tell what meat was in there - certainly wouldn't have thought corned beef!

Wouldn't be my first choice, but will replace that tin for future emergencies!

Just shows, how desperation and necessity can result in the strangest of edible creations!

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: An "emergency" curry
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:04 PM »
No longer a cheap meal though as the price of corned beef is scandalous. We used to do a Corned Beef Hash (sliced pots and corned beef so not exactly a hash before the aficionados start) at work for a weekend supper. The younger lot would spout up ' I'm not eating that dog food' etc etc but then would invariably go for another plate full. True winter comfort food and once in a while, delicious.

And as for Curried Corned Beef, I certainly give it a go Leodis. A quick google brings up plenty of Corned Beef Curry recipes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:28 PM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: An "emergency" curry
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:17 PM »
True winter comfort food and once in a while, delicious.

Absolutely -- definitely one of my favourites as the winter evenings start to approach.

©2024 Curry Recipes