Author Topic: Balti Chicken Madras 2 ways  (Read 13145 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Balti Chicken Madras 2 ways
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Why / how come / how the dramatic change of colour between these two stages, Livo ? It is almost as if they are two different dishes, one based on normal chicken and one on chicken tikka ...

** Phil.
--------
BIR Style Finishing Off. (Part 2)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Just put a couple of drops of Pillar Box Red in it mate to experiment with colouring.  I never use food colour but thought I'd see how much it took to make a difference.  Plus the Rabbitoh's are Red and Green.
Red Chicken and Green chilli and coriander.

One of the videos I watched last night showed a guy making up his restaurant's Tomato sauce and he put red food colour in it, so everything that had the tomato sauce in it would be red.

littlechilie

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Anyone else no able to view the photos unless clicking on them?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 11:49 AM »
They just came straight up for me as soon as I posted them lc.

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 12:00 PM »
I'm unable to view them  - either on a laptop or ipad. When I click on them an error message is produced

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 12:02 PM »
Forget that, I can now see them on my laptop - needed time for them to download - they don't seem to work with an ipad though.

Nice pictures - thanks!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Just put a couple of drops of Pillar Box Red in it mate to experiment with colouring. 

OK, obviously a personal matter, but for me the red colour is off-putting; if I am served a red curry in a restaurant, I immediately assume they have used chicken tikka in it rather than fresh, and send it back if they have (unless it is declared as based on chicken tikka on the menu).  Using chicken tikka rather than pre-cooked chicken seems increasingly common these days (especially in the so-called house/chef's specials -- fancy names, fancy prices, and usually rubbish compared to a simple bhuna, dhansak, Madras or vindaloo), and I for one dislike the effect on the finished dish.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 01:02 PM »
I have to agree Phil. It's weird how the colour affects our notion of what we expect in a curry. In the photos above the orangey couloured madras looks great but the addition of red colouring ruins it for me.

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 02:47 PM »
One of my most favouritist ever curries was a Punjabi Massala from a curry house in Arbroath.
It was a vivid bright red and made me sweat just by opening the carton.

Fantastic stuff, so I don't have too much of an issue with the actual colour of things, but just with how much toxic, radioactive glass coated asbestos was gently ground up to make it taste so good.

Now anything containing Dihydrogen Monoxide is a different kettle of worms and should be treated with caution.  :P

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Not at all keen myself on red food colour added to the madras, it looked absolutely fine prior to this addition.

©2024 Curry Recipes