Author Topic: Hot and Dangerous with Omid Djalili  (Read 11930 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hot and Dangerous with Omid Djalili
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 07:27 PM »
I think, Livo. that it is perceived by many British males that eating the hottest curries/chillies is some kind of a sign of masculinity/strength.

Those of us who enjoy a hot curry, but can also appreciate the subtle flavours of a milder dish can laugh in the reddened faces, and at the even more reddened anal passages of those who subject themselves to extreme heat.

I have still to receive a response from Andy regarding the scientific evidence that if the taste receptors in one's mouth are telling one's brain that the heat of chilli is so hot as to cause extreme pain (Andy refers to it as a 'high' - obviously hasn't taken real drugs) that the other spices in the curry can be detected and reasonably identified.

I like Andy, but he does talk shite sometimes :) Unlike me, as I tried to explain to Mrs G last night - everyone in the world talks shite, but not me :P

Note to self - remove tongue from cheek.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 11:31 AM »
GREAT POST cheers!

Offline leodis1970

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2014, 04:06 PM »
I agree that an incredibly hot curry isn't always a good thing. I do like them, but also appreciate a delicious, flavoursome korma, although I do find my self embarrassed to order one as part of living up to that stereotype. Had to laugh when I ordered a korma online and put "a bit hotter than normal please" in the comments box. Chef phoned me up to say he'd do if it he had to, but begged me to stick with it the way it was meant to be!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2014, 08:52 PM »
I find it rather odd that ordering a korma is cause for concern, similar to ordering a shandy or half nip when others order a pint of heavy.  At a mixed grill nobody thinks less of a person for eating chicken instead of steak.

I enjoy the presence of chilli in a dish but that's enough for me.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 08:59 PM »
When we have a get together I generally make a korma or tikka masala for the girls, they prefer milder curries  :)

This programme could have been very good, but the way it was made let it down, and Omid groaning every time he ate anything was highly annoying

©2024 Curry Recipes