Author Topic: Ajowan seeds  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Ajowan seeds
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:16 AM »
I notice in the Ebooks, Recipes and Software section there's a recipe for a gravy using Ajowan seeds (I think Pete posted it).
Has anybody tried them? Could they be another component of that "restaurant taste"? They're an ingredient I've never come across before.

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ajowan seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 08:48 AM »
FAO Dylan,

I have recently tried using Ajowan seeds in 2 different recipes for base sauce and do not think that they are "the missing taste". They are a very strongly flavoured aromatic seed which are very readily available in my locall area from asian grocers.
I hope this is of some help but sadly I don't think it's the answer you were hoping for, in fact I would go so far as to say the flavour detracted from some promising results that I have recently been achieving,
cheers anyway
Blondie

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Hi,  Ajowan seeds = in English terms oregano seeds.  I used these when I made the Curry House gravy which I found to be very good and it had a different aroma shall we say to my usual gravy.  Then I made several of the dishes that were given to us by Pete and had a very pleasant surprise!

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 01:27 PM »
"The secrets of the Indian restaurant chefs revealed" base gravy also uses these (and its a very good gravy)

©2024 Curry Recipes