Author Topic: Mini Stuffed Parathas (a very moreish snack)  (Read 2485 times)

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Mini Stuffed Parathas (a very moreish snack)
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:47 AM »
This is actually a Moroccan snack, but it's essentially mini stuffed parathas. These are so good that I need to cook twice as many as required, because they have a way of disappearing on the way to the table. And they are a doddle to make.

Reghaif (pronounced "Mini Stuffed Parathas")

Note:you could substitute keema for the filling

SERVES 12 as a snack

1 fist-size portion of naan dough, ready to use (or a white bread dough would work fine)

For the filling:
250g mince (I used 50:50 beef and lamb)
1 chef's spoon finely-chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin (grind it fresh - it makes a huge difference)
2 tsp ground coriander
Salt to taste (I used quite a lot - about 1 tsp)
? tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley

1. In a saucepan, fry the filling ingredients in a little oil until brown. Add 200ml water and cook down, stirring, until dry. Blitz to a rough paste. Chill in fridge.
2. Make a snake of the dough and chop it into small rounds - enough to make a ball no bigger than a squash ball.
3. Pin out the balls of dough into thin circles.
4. Put a generous spoon of the filling in each circle, leaving enough free edge to fold over the sides so they overlap. Then fold over the ends. The filling should be completely encased - no holes.
5. Turn over the parcels and flatten gently, taking care not to break them open. They should be rough rectangles.
6. Fry in oil - either shallow fry in 1 cm turning a few times, or deep fry at 175C. They should be golden and bubbly, not black.

Slice each parcel into two and serve.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:58 AM by macferret »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Stuffed Parathas (a very moreish snack)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:41 AM »
These are so good that I need to cook twice as many as required, because they have a way of disappearing on the way to the table.

I think I can imagine why !  I shall definitely give this a go when time permits, as I love home-made Indian-style snacks.

** Phil.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 06:08 AM »
Hi - how much black pepper please? Also what is meant by "pin out" the dough? Not a term I've heard before.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Hi - how much black pepper please? Also what is meant by "pin out" the dough? Not a term I've heard before.

I suspect (reading back) that the author means "roll out the dough".  "pin out" as in "rolling-pin out", which in normal <Br.E> is "roll out".

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes