Author Topic: Base gravy - am I doing it all wrong?! (JB takeaway version)  (Read 10350 times)

Offline k4ssie

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Base gravy - am I doing it all wrong?! (JB takeaway version)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Okay i've watered and blended a bit more before starting freezing. I did wonder about freezer bags but have managed to clear some space for containers this time - i have a tiny freezer so it might be bags in future!

A friend who makes a lot of curries dropped round earlier and her diagnosis on the flavour front was "too much coconut". I agree, particularly the smell is basically like a korma but without the nut or cream elements. I wonder if the coconut cream I used is more concentrated than the block kind, if i make it again i might even leave that out altogether - maybe coconut is something better added at the final dish stage, if appropriate? The metallic / oniony flavour does seemed to have eased up a bit after the hours of boiling and the tarka.

Right, stage two at the weekend will be pre cooked meat, probably lamb. Then we'll see how a finished dish holds up - any recommendations for something idiot proof and not too spicy? I'm a wuss with chilli so probably no more than medium hot.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 05:41 PM »
The coconut taste surprises me, this was the first base that I've ever added coconut and I honestly coudn't taste it in the base or the finished curry!

Are you doing tikka or normal meat? I'd advise using chicken for a first try as it's less hassle to get good resulrs on the pre-cook.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Hi k4ssie, I'd keep the gravy thick to freeze, then thin as needed, to cut down on storage space & also to see how thinning alters the flavour.
I'd also practise making the sauces only at first without adding meat. Its quite possible you wont be happy with some of your early efforts.  :)

Regards
ELW

Offline k4ssie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 05:09 PM »
I was planning on trying some lamb - i think it's the glasgow pre cook but i'm getting a bit mixed up with all the methods now!

The day i did the base, I didn't actually have anything to eat at the end of it and by then the brain was obsessed with curry so...yup, straight on the phone to the takeaway. oh the irony  ;D

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I agree that it looks too thick.  You can just add water until it is the consistency of a thin soup. Not sure how much oil you used, but we use 1 liter of seasoned oil to 10 liters of gravy, and I would normally expect to see a deep-brown slick of the stuff on the top of the gravy. Are you gently cooking the gravy for 2-3 days? That's what it needs to lose that brackish onion aroma and develop the deep caramel flavours we all crave.
If you are still not happy with the background notes from the gravy, try cooking your curries longer in the pan. I mean lower the heat and lengthen the gap between deglazing with the gravy and putting in the meat/chicken/etc.  Using more oil in your pan is also a good idea. You can always skim it (we put it back into the gravy if it's a veg dish).
Happy cooking,
Tim

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 07:47 PM »
2-3 days Mr Mac?

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 08:05 PM »
ew....really?? Surely hrs??

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Days. You cook it for days. I'm surprised you're surprised.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 08:48 PM »

I'm surprised that you're surprised that we're surprised!  ???

Offline mak

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53 PM »

I'm surprised that you're surprised that we're surprised!  ???

I'm surprised that SS is surprised about mac being surprised at others showing signs of surpise  :P

Think I've surprised myself actually  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes