Author Topic: Fine chopped onion & green pepper  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Fine chopped onion & green pepper
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I'm well on the path of BIR style curry's now. Continuing to try different bases, different approaches, while at the same time expanding my curry portfolio.

On the subject of different approaches, I recently started adding about 1 tbs of finely chopped onion and green pepper as the first fry. I've not tried a side-by-side with and without, so I can't say I really know what it adds, but it's certainly not added anything bad.

Is this chopped onion/pepper rare or a pretty standard approach? What is the main intent of the addition and should it be reserved for specific curry styles? Thanks.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Fine chopped onion & green pepper
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:08 PM »
I add Service Onions (as coined I think by CT) to most of my curries. I find that they give the curries a bit of body and dissolve to next to nothing.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:22 PM »
I tried to get some service onions from the Asian shop they suggested I went to the local garage or tennis club  What is a service onion? ;D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:45 PM »
You certainly will not go far wrong doing what you are doing KC.  The method of starting a curry off using this "tarka" was suggested by Abdul Mohed, a Bangladeshi chef that posted much useful information on here in the thread below. 

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5958.0.html

"Service onions" as pointed out by CT are a common thing in BIR and can be seen in many Youtube vids.  They can be added at different times to provide different results.
If Abdul were to read your comments, i'm sure he would be smiling to himself.  A great loss to the site  :(

©2024 Curry Recipes