Author Topic: Onion Bhajis Bir Style  (Read 10483 times)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Onion Bhajis Bir Style
« on: November 06, 2006, 07:55 PM »
I guess you all know that there is no such thing as an Onion Bhaji in India; it is another UK first folks probably based on Pakoras.  I posted this recipe on another thread but has got lost somewhere in the ether.  I don't have this written down as I just do them as required.  They are very simple and with a little practice they are very quick to make from scratch  Here goes. ::)

To make two palm sized bhajis you will need the following:

Heat oil to about 160 degrees C

1 use a large Onion mild Spanish or Chilean are best, cut in half lengthwise and then in to 3 - 4 mm slices.  Remove the core before you slice, and also remove the smaller inner bits because they burn easily.

2. Put in a bowl and mix with about half teaspoon of salt and a pinch of sugar (optional)
Leave for about a minute and then mix 2 tblsp of Gram (Besan) flour with the onions thoroughly.

3. Leave for a few minutes while you make the flour mix, this allows the flour, salt and sugar to release some of the juices from the onions and neutralise the acidic taste.

4.  Mix about 4 tbsp of besan flour with a quarter teaspoon of Garam Masala (your own is best), and about half teaspoon of whole Cumin seeds (you can use Ajwain instead but they go better with the Spinach version).  Add a large pinch of Bicarb or baking powder, or Epson salts and mix the lot together well.  You can add some potato, rice, or corn flour to make it more crispy; about 1/2 teaspoon should do it. I use potato flour.

6. Add the spice flour mix to the Onions and mix around well, leave for 30 seconds.

7. Add a little water, a little at a time,  while you mix until you get a consistency like double cream or thick creamy yoghurt.

8. Scoop up a handful of onions and press them in to shape and put in the oil, do this for the rest of them.

9. Cook until a light golden brown and the onion is nice and moist.

10. Serve with salad and raita.

Cooking notes.  Any batter fried product will continue to cook and darken after you remove it from the hot fat, so don't be tempted to cook it to the colour you finally want.

The raising agent e.g. baking powder, will start to lose its effectiveness after about 10 to 15 minutes, so you can't really make this in advance.

You can add a little chili powder and turmeric to the flour mix (not onion mix) if you wish, but be careful not to use too much turmeric as it burns very easily in hot oil.

If you do not plan to use them immediately don't store in a container, just leave them out on a plate and warm them in the oven (not microwave!) when you need them.

Good luck; sorry I am not so precise but this is a real bir style jobby.  Once you get the knack and a spice ratio that you like you will have no problems.

Cheers
CP
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 08:11 PM by Chilli Prawn »

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Onion Bhajis Bir Style
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:58 PM »
Many Thanx Oh Mighty Prawn
I will try this recipe in the next few days it look's a good recipe I'll let you know how I get on.
Layne  :)

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 12:35 AM »
this one looks good (especially with the turmeric & chilli).

you should also try out Curry Kings Veg Pakora. It is the best version i've tried. I just used finely diced onion and grated potato.

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 09:34 AM »
I have and it IS ;D
Thanks CK

CP

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 09:00 PM »
 ;D ;D Many thanks for posting the recipe Chili my man, by looks it sounds the biz, I'll let you know how it tasted soon. Thanks Paul

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 06:42 PM »
 ;D ;D Chili, the onion  bhaji's turned out fantastic, I added some mushrooms, lemon juice, and used potatoe flour. Many thanks for your recipe. Paul

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 10:27 AM »
You are most welcome, and I am glad they turned out OK.

CP

Offline vmixture

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 08:37 PM »
After last nighs feast using 4 new methods I had enough base left to re-create the same meal. Being adventurous I wanted to add something, so here are the bhajis that I made tonight. Very tasty indeed.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 06:50 PM »
have made these bhajis 2 times now.

the 1st a bit embarrassing - i followed the recipe exact to spec but failed to observe it only makes 2 albeit largish bhajis.

on the 2nd go i made a x4 and ended up with a massive spot on bowl just slightly too much for 3 people (i'd make a x3 next time).

this is a fantastic recipe. i've not worked out when to add the lemon and have left it out so far. i will add at stage 2 - to the chopped onion next time.

on the 2nd go i made fairly large bhajis allowing the mixer to sort of slide between 2 spoons into the fryer - this worked a treat and were mighty impressive - just like vmixture's photo only a bit larger of course.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Had a crack at these tonight and they are the best Onion Bhaji's I've ever made,

©2024 Curry Recipes