Author Topic: My "tweaked" Zaal base is ready for tomorrow  (Read 1957 times)

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
My "tweaked" Zaal base is ready for tomorrow
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:45 PM »
So this week I had got to make base. I only had 2 portions of original Zaal in the freezer and depending on how many I have to feed  I can use up to 4.
I was gonna make JB's base BUT after having great success with Zaal I was reluctant. Saying that though, when I went to a local Indian rest. for tea Saturday I realised I had been over spicing both my base and probs the curry too.
I decided to take the best from Zaal and Jb's and it seems to be perfect.....
I took all the Zaal recipe (using 1 chef spoon= 3 level tablespoons) and also added 20grams creamed coconut (didn't fancy strong coconut taste) and 1.5 large cloves of garlic tarka added before final boil/ blend....btw that gave the most fantastic aroma and depending on curry results tomorrow I may add more garlic cloves next time.
Can't wait to use it, side by side to last months (defrosted)  base. it is lighter, fresher and has a buttery, nutty, garlic hint...yum!!

Will be making 2 identical (aside from the base) madras tomorrow and I wil post results / Pics :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:58 PM by LOUP »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My "tweaked" Zaal base is ready for tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:14 AM »
Looking forward to a full report on the results Lou. Zaal base for me is a stock item. I wouldn't say it was over spiced though  ??? Yet to try jb's base but looking forward to doing this real soon.  A combination of the  two certainly has potential  :)

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My "tweaked" Zaal base is ready for tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:21 AM »
I think because I had made it a few times I had become lazy reading the recipe so instead of 3 level tablespoons = 1 chef spoon I had been heavy handed (not the recipes fault)and using at least a third more( maybe more than that).

I can really tell the difference now and even though it is lighter in taste and colour it still has the same flavours, they are just more subtle.

:)

©2024 Curry Recipes