Author Topic: BIR, keep it simple - 9 Korma Chameleon recipes  (Read 31402 times)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: BIR, keep it simple - 9 Korma Chameleon recipes
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 10:03 PM »
I'm trying really hard not to use rude words like patronising (moderated) here.]

No you're not. You are going out of the way to use bad language and break the rules. You should be ashamed of yourself.

As for taking 2 years to learn how to cook a recipe, perhaps you're a very slow learner. More like 5 minutes, if you have a good recipe. It's not like learning to play a musical instrument or fly an aircraft, is it?

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Don't worry mac, I knew what you were saying man.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 10:27 PM »
As for taking 2 years to learn how to cook a recipe, perhaps you're a very slow learner. More like 5 minutes, if you have a good recipe. It's not like learning to play a musical instrument or fly an aircraft, is it?

Well, yes, I think that that is exactly what it is like.  Any fool can buy a violin, some sheet music, and a copy of "Learn to play like Yehudi Menuhin in five minutes".  And twenty years later, they will probably still sound like a cat being castrated.  A good recipe is a help, yes; but a real chef has ten, twenty, even fifty years of experience under his belt, and the better ones will admit they are still learning after all that time.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:24 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 11:14 PM »
Same here http://www.notdelia.co.uk/british-indian-restaurant-curry-different-curry-styles/

Basic shorthand concept is similar but the ingredients and prep are quite different when examined, plus the dishes are alphabetically listed.

It also appears the notdelia is another of the "list onion as an ingredient but don't use it brigade".
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:26 PM by livo »

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 11:43 PM »
Same here http://www.notdelia.co.uk/british-indian-restaurant-curry-different-curry-styles/

Basic shorthand concept is similar but the ingredients and prep are quite different when examined, plus the dishes are alphabetically listed.

It also appears the notdelia is another of the "list onion as an ingredient but don't use it brigade".

Yes indeed. I now realise that KC's text is not the same at all, so apologies to KC for suggesting it looked like a straight copy.

The thing that irritates me about the notdelia author is zero acknowledgment on where he or she is coming from. You'd think it was all a result of original research, which it most certainly is not.

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 11:44 PM »
My shorthand approach is far superior to notdelia, but then I would say that wouldn't I  :P. As the last post points out, there are obvious differences when you look in detail. In short I'd say my approach is much closer to that which is considered standard here, and it would be I guess, given that much of what I've learned has come from here.

So, if I've managed to persuade that this came from me and I'm not affiliated to anyone else...
I'm convinced that BIR chefs think in this simplified way. Yes they'll have some specials, but the bulk of the menu will be built around their own base sauce and a few simple differences for each curry. And although the differences between my listed recipes seem very subtle, each does return a very different curry.

All I ever do when I review a recipe is to pick out what it is that makes that curry unique and adapt it to my own method. So far I'm really happy with most of my recipes, but some are a bit weak and need further research. I must say though that it's tough to trawl through all the recipes on this site and pick out the subtleties of each curry; it would be great if there was a simple "short-hand" resource. So Garp, you say you wouldn't go along with all my recipes; I'd be interested to hear which in particular and what you'd do instead?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 12:11 AM »

The thing that irritates me about the notdelia author is zero acknowledgment on where he or she is coming from. You'd think it was all a result of original research, which it most certainly is not.

I've certainly seen the Base Sauce recipe before today.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 12:30 AM »
More like 5 minutes, if you have a good recipe. It's not like learning to play a musical instrument or fly an aircraft, is it?

One further thought is that it's not easy to find a good recipe, of course. That's where most of my time goes. I can only make two or three dishes that stand any chance of matching the quality of taste from the best BIRs. Another damper is being familiar with the taste one is aiming for. I've never ordered or eaten a madras, bhuna, dupiaza, vindaloo or dozens of other popular dishes in a BIR so I wouldn't know where to start.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 01:10 AM »
Add to that the fact that these Indian dish names are used rather liberally to refer to something with spices.   ??? My next misguided project will be to attempt to determine exactly what constitutes a dish having any given title. I'm pre-OCD and probably anal retentive as well, but it just sets my buzzer off when there is inconsistency and poor standardisation. :o  Weights and measures and things of that nature are easily remedied, but naming of completely different things as the same is just bothersome and in my view counterproductive to say the least. :-\

Bring out the poison darts. I'm ready for you. :D :D

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Keeping it simple is so important when learning to cook some complex meals
A Bir chef once advised me to learn to cook a basic chicken curry
When its good every time and only then start playing with spices and different recipes
Like the saying " learn to walk before you run"
Anyone in agreement ? ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes