Author Topic: Who is Livo?  (Read 8611 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Who is Livo?
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:51 AM »
While I have been a member here for a little while I never did this introduction earlier as it is something that I don't normally do on any forum. For the sake of a few, allow me to introduce myself. I am a 53 yr old medically retired Technology and Applied Studies teacher from NSW Australia. I have always enjoyed Indian food among other cuisines and have generally been cooking for many many years but never commercially. Just for family and friends.

My wife was an exchange student to Sri Lanka when she was at the end of her school life, so we both share a fondness to food from there as well.

My other main interests are boating and fishing and my family all own and ride horses. I don't.

Now to clear up some matters. I do not like "hot" dishes. I don't mind a little chilli but my favourite dishes all fall in the mild to medium spiciness range. I love nuts and creamy things so naturally I love korma.  I have no knowledge of CA other than having read his posts in this forum and others. It would appear that there has been some issue with CA and other members here. I haven't a clue what it is about.

Perhaps somebody would care to explain this situation so that the newer members here are not so confused by the whole thing.  I have now seen several members being accused of being impostors and spies. It all comes across to me as a bit odd.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:04 AM by livo »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Livo?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Let me try to answer your last question in a neutral manner.

CA ("Cory Ander") is an expatriate Briton now living in Australia who was a regular contributor to this forum for many years (2006 to 2013).  His recipes were well received by many.  He held strong views and appeared to have little tolerance for those who disagreed with him.  After falling out with a number of members here, he left to create his own forum.  Since he left, there have been suspicions that posts by new members with zero posting history who suddenly discover CA's recipes here and rave about them may, in fact, be either CA or one or more of his friends trying to promote his standing.  There have similarly been suspicions that "trolling" posts by new members with zero posting history may be a related deliberate attempt to disrupt the smooth running of this forum.  Neither of these suspicions has ever been proved, but circumstantial evidence suggests that there may be truth in one or both.

** Phil.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:13 AM »
You should never have been put in a position of feeling obliged to identify and explain yourself, livo.

It's clear that there are some persistent attempts to disrupt this forum, but the laissez-faire approach to such infiltrations do little to prevent recurrence.

It's only my opinion, of course, but the persistence of banal off-topic comments together with the somewhat paranoiac moderation of the forum only serve to discourage many (myself included) to enthusiastically engage as much as we might nowadays.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 11:18 AM »
It's clear that there are some persistent attempts to disrupt this forum, but the laissez-faire approach to such infiltrations do little to prevent recurrence.

It's only my opinion, of course, but ... the somewhat paranoiac moderation of the forum ...

How do you reconcile those two statements, Naga ?  Is there a laissez-faire approach to moderation, or a paranoid one ?  They are at opposite ends of the spectrum, it seems to me.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Ok. Thanks. Pretty much what I thought. I have no affiliation with or allegiance to CA.

Why are some people here so sensitive about jibes referring to korma and chilli? I am a member of fishing forum where bait fishermen and those who prefer artificial lures engage in friendly and humorous teasing. Nothing nasty is intended or inferred. Just a bit of fun. I would think it is pretty similar to mild curry eaters as opposed to those who like it hot.

Did CA have a habit of pressing his views on hot or mild dishes? It seems to be a raw wound for some.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Did CA have a habit of pressing his views on hot or mild dishes? It seems to be a raw wound for some.

Not as far as I know.  I seem to recall that he has recipes for korma and CTM as well as for Madras and friends.  I think that the "baiting" that goes on here is just that; there are some who would willing die by chilli, and others for whom the very thought is anathema.  I sit right in the middle -- I have no interest whatsoever in killer chillies, but for me a korma or CTM is simply too mild to be of interest, yet at the same time a relatively mild old-school bhuna is something to die for.  Some of those who prefer the milder dishes complain about the occasional baiting that goes on, but I genuinely believe that it is just teasing and that no harm is meant by it.

** Phil.

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Nice to meet you Livo, and I can see why you felt compelled to defend your bona fides.  Personally I just love writing about curry and I find that a bit of disagreement and joshing adds spice to the debate (ha ha). 
By the way I think that we might both belong to the same Facebook curry group. If it's the same one, I think you'll agree that there is a lot of p***-taking, but it's very good-natured.  And if someone wants to brag that they can tolerate a hotter chilli than me, I think I can take it.
I don't understand the baggage that this site seems to have accumulated as I wasn't witness to what took place. But there seems to be a healthy stream of new members, and hopefully with time the grass will regrow, so to speak. In the meantime, if any of us newcomers causes offense, it probably isn't intended. It's just that things that are meant harmlessly - things that you can say face-to-face with a smile and chuckle - can come across wrongly in cold print, even if you add a smiley.
So as long as you are here because you love curry, make as much fun of me as you like.  (And as long as it's meant in fun.)

:)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Ok. All clear for me now. I apologise if I offended anyone and as I have since pointed out, I actually love korma. I will try to be more mindfull of people's sensitivities in future.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 12:33 PM »
And learn to ignore George, as best you can, and you'll get on fine.  ;)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Nowt wrong with a korma - as long as it has chilli in!

Joking but traditional do have and plenty in some places along with a good handful of nuts - but we are bir - so loads of sugar etc

Tim (macferret)there are many on here mate that do not run a business like you - so your input would be welcomed mate.

Livo i'm pleased to meet you also - even though i only try to check in these days.

Cant beat a bit of banter but as already posted - cold hard print - with no face to face does sometimes come across a bad comment etc

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes