Author Topic: Lamb Basanti  (Read 20629 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Basanti
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Also had Mango Chicken with Kushi chicken and Navratan with Kushi vegetables.  The Kushi method of pre-cooking all 3 is well worth the effort and I'm starting to think 5% is more like 1 or 2%.

Apologies for not photographing the Navratan in a serving dish (or foil tray).  Pis of Mango chicken in related original thread.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Looking good bud. Thanks for the feedback  :)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Looking good bud. Thanks for the feedback  :)

No worries, I really should have tidied up that bottom right corner of the plate (or put it in a foil tray), for the photo shoot.  I'll sack the photographer immediately.

I'll be sure to let you know what my findings are about Asafoetida as soon as I can get my hands on some pure stuff.  Another piece to the puzzle hopefully.  I love the way little snippets like that can lead to discovery and the "Eureka" moment.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2014, 09:44 PM »
I don't use the 'pure' stuff (if there is such a thing). Get mine from a Wholefood shop in a nearby town. I have no idea of the content ratios.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 10:11 PM »
According to the spice guru I know in Sparkhill you have to go easy with whole hing, as it causes your teeth to rot, and fall out.  The compound powder is OK, particularly in dal dishes as it reduces flatulence.

Rob  :) 

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 10:32 PM »
According to the spice guru I know in Sparkhill you have to go easy with whole hing, as it causes your teeth to rot, and fall out.  The compound powder is OK, particularly in dal dishes as it reduces flatulence.

Rob  :)

One of it's other mystical powers is that it supposedly enhances your singing voice.  As my teeth are already beyond help, you can look forward to seeing me on the television talent shows doing my best Susan Boyle impersonation soon.

The old Stink Finger is amazing stuff.  What an act? The toothless Tenor who can't pass wind.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 01:04 AM »
I just came across a recipe, which for all intents and purposes seems to be a Base Gravy. Interestingly it uses a pinch of Asafoetida.

Also very interesting is this little snippet from the accompanying notes.
After the sauce is complete and the oil has separated the notes say:

"For a more professional taste, add a tsp of water and stir fry again until oil separates from the mass. Repeat once more."

This is a recipe for a home based Curry Sauce with only 2 onions so the tsp of water would obviously be increased for larger quantity but the extra procedures given and the reasoning backs up something written recently here about a double cook being essential.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Revisited this one today, after having had it a couple of times from TA since the last time I tried. The pic looks much like the others I guess, but here it is anyway:

I got the lamb just about right this time (which was a biggie for me). Similar to what Lou posted - leg cut into large chunks and slow-cooked for two hours.

I also made a few little alterations, adding very finely chopped onion and green pepper, plus some almond powder towards the end (and a little chilli powder to lift it).

It's a really nice curry; but, to be honest, it's not what I'm aiming for - which is to recreate the TA version. I'm beginning to think that the Tandoori Masala is possibly taking the flavour in the wrong direction.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here is the updated (but not finalised) recipe :

Basanti

Ingredients :

2 tbsp Vegetable oil 1 tbsp finely chopped onion

1 tbsp finely chopped green pepper

1/4 tsp asafoetida 1 1/2 tsp mix powder 1 1/2 tsp garlic/ginger paste 2 tsp onion/chilli puree 6 tbsp tomato paste 4 ladles base sauce 1 tsp tandoori masala 1 portion of pre-cooked lamb/chicken 1 1/2 tsp methi 1 tsp salt 1 tsp sugar 2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander leaf 1 tbsp Mother's Recipe Mixed Pickle (or similar) 1 tsp ground almonds

Method : Heat oil in preferred cooking vessel (not too hot). Gently fry chopped onion and pepper until softened.

Add spice mix and asafoetida and stir for 30 seconds or so Add garlic/ginger paste and stir for 30 seconds or so Add onion/chilli paste and stir for a minute Add tomato paste and Tandoori Masala and cook out for a few minutes, adjusting heat as necessary. Add salt and sugar and stir in Add two ladles of base and pre-cooked meat and simmer until reduced by about a third. Add 1 1/2 tsp of methi leaf and a good tbsp of chopped coriander leaf and stir well Add another ladle or two of base, pickle and ground almonds, and reduce to desired consistency - should be thickish.

Notes : 1/ My ladles are 100ml. 2/ Mix powder is: 2 parts ground cumin 2 parts paprika 2 parts ground fenugreek 1 part ground coriander 1 part Garam Masala. 3/ Onion/Chilli puree is half an onion and two bullet chillies pureed. 4/ I use TRS Tandoori Masala which contains natural food colouring, but add a little red if you like. 5/ My tomato paste is one large tin of blitzed plum tomatoes, with around 75ml water and a large tbsp of tomato puree.

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Looks good Garp. Hope your lamb was nice and tender :)
 ;)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Looks good Garp. Hope your lamb was nice and tender :)
 ;)

It was, Lou. I had cooked it a couple of weeks ago, using a similar technique to yours. Then froze it. It turned out 90% perfect. That's why I asked you earlier about the slow-cooking time, because I have had trouble getting lamb right in the past. But this was nice so thanks for your input :)

©2024 Curry Recipes