Author Topic: Hello strangers ! long time no see. What have i missed?  (Read 12503 times)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hello strangers ! long time no see. What have i missed?
« on: October 27, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Hello everyone !  good to know this site is still alive and kicking

Not sure how many of the old members are still about ?

Have fond memories of ranting endlessly on this forum. Great fun  :)

Are there any new bases or break throughs I have missed in last year ?

Cheers DD 

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello strangers ! long time no see. What have i missed?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Welcome home, Derek -- you have been much missed.  To the best of my belief, two bases and Chris's "happy naans" are the most significant additions since you last visited.  Bigboaby1's Glasgow base (various versions / sizes / iterations) and JB's takeaway base.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:58 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Welcome back Derek - I think I joined after you took your sabbatical. Loving the Bob Dylan reference though :)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Thanks Phil.

Look forward to trying those suggestions soon.

Its a crying shame the forum never managed to crack the illusive taste ?

Must be one of the few remaining secrets left in this digitally connected world of ours !

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Its a crying shame the forum never managed to crack the illusive taste ?  Must be one of the few remaining secrets left in this digitally connected world of ours !
Well, there are some (and I think I would include myself amongst them) who believe that the "missing 5%" is all in the mind; our senses are so blasted after frying the spices and making the curry that we simply cannot appreciate what we have cooked.  I think there is almost unanimous agreement that most curries taste better on day two, but whether that is (a) because the taste becomes more rounded, given time; or (b) because our olfactory and gustatory organs have become re-sensitised; or (c) some combination of the two, is moot.

What have you been up to which you have been away ?

** Phil.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Its a crying shame the forum never managed to crack the illusive taste ?  Must be one of the few remaining secrets left in this digitally connected world of ours !
Well, there are some (and I think I would include myself amongst them) who believe that the "missing 5%" is all in the mind; our senses are so blasted after frying the spices and making the curry that we simply cannot appreciate what we have cooked.  I think there is almost unanimous agreement that most curries taste better on day two, but whether that is (a) because the taste becomes more rounded, given time; or (b) because our olfactory and gustatory organs have become re-sensitised; or (c) some combination of the two, is moot.

What have you been up to which you have been away ?

** Phil.

Sorry Phil

I Have to disagree. There is definitely something missing in taste. Nothing at all to do with sensory overload or whatever you call it Im afraid. I actually wish you were right...but youre not!

Regards

Mick

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:54 PM »
Hello everyone !  good to know this site is still alive and kicking

Welcome back Derek! Glad to see youre back

Regards
Mick

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Sorry Phil.  I Have to disagree. There is definitely something missing in taste. Nothing at all to do with sensory overload or whatever you call it Im afraid. I actually wish you were right...but you're not!

Well, would you be willing to accept that whilst there may well be "definitely something missing in taste" in the curries that you cook, and probably  in the curries that I cook, the same is not necessarily true for all members of this forum ?  I do not for one second claim to be a member of this
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:48 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Good to be back mate

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Sorry Phil - I Have to disagree. There is definitely something missing in taste. Nothing at all to do with sensory overload or whatever you call it I'm afraid. I actually wish you were right...but you're not!

I agree with the valid points which Phil makes. How many other members curries have you tasted and did you express any interest in my 'Come Dine' idea, when we might have started to find out?

Welcome back DD. One other thing which you may have missed is CA being fired.

You mention THE illusive taste but I'm not sure I've ever known what that is or was. Doesn't it vary from dish to dish? I can make one or two dishes which do as much for my taste buds as the same dishes from the best BIRs but when it comes to a simple vegetable curry to accompany a biriani, I haven't yet got close.

©2024 Curry Recipes